Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro not picking up dog movement anymore

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Aliciajane
Aspirant
Aspirant

HI, I recently purchased the Arlo Pro and all cameras have been working great until recently the motion detection has stopped working as it was originally, it no longer picks things up as it used to. I had a camera set up outside on my dog run as I have a new puppy and wanted to see if he was crying through the day when left alone. It worked great for the first week sending me loads of notifications but now doesnt pick up his movements at all (not even once through the day) I know he is sleeping more through the day because I log in if I havent had notifications in a few hours but there are times I log in and hes crying or playing and the camera isnt picking this up. If I walk near the cameras it still picks up my movements as normal just not the dog anymore, For example I walk past and it picks me up fine, dog runs past 5 - 10 minutes later and nothing. I thought it might be a distance issue even though the camera hasnt been moved so I put 3 of my 4 cameras facing his run at different distances and angles all with motion on 100% and none of them pick him up. All 3 pick up my movements from move than double what my dog is from them but now none pick up my dog even with movement at 100%. He doesnt have a thick coat or anything like that and is a large breed so dont think it is a size issue but as I said above first week it picked his movement up and now nothing.I am hoping this is an easy fix someone else has experienced but I couldn't find anything the same in previous posts.

9 REPLIES 9
steve_t
Master Master
Master

What firmware are your cameras running?

Aliciajane
Aspirant
Aspirant
They are all on 1.092.0.4_13099
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Aliciajane,

Motion detection works best when it is side to side across the cameras field of view. It may be that there is not enough motion to be detectable, or the subject (in your cause, the dog) is not a large enough to trigger detection (you mention the camera detects you without any issue).

When using the cameras to detect animals, some users have found bringing the cameras closer to where the movement is expected produces better results.

JamesC

Alexcaid
Tutor
Tutor

Might worth checking, you ar enot alone :

https://community.netgear.com/ejquo23388/board/crawl_message?board.id=en-arlo-pro&message.id=17308

This is a new issue a lot are experiencing.

Aliciajane
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for the link. Glad I'm not alone but it is really annoying.
Aliciajane
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi James, I don't see how the size of the dog or distance can be the issue as it worked fine and now no longer works. Looks like this is a wider issue than just me that hopefully Netgear will look into soon.
Hux
Aspirant
Aspirant

Aliciajane -

I just bought a two (2) camera Arlo Pro system from Best Buy and it did *not* detect the motion I was hoping for last night, an Armadillo that's destroying my property. The motion detection setting was set to 80, so I switched it to 100 this morning, to see if it would detect one of my bunnies, a flemish giant that's much larger than an Armadillo. Nothing detected.

Were you able to resolve this issue on your own, or was Arlo able to help you? It looks like you might be getting the runaround... e.g. object too small to be detected, detection setting too low, camera not close enough to the object, etc.. 

I read your earlier posts and it sounds like motion detection was working just fine for your small dog and then stopped. I am considering taking these cameras back, after only using for one night.

I wish these cameras could record non-stop, if you wanted them to.

Sincerely, 

Hux

Aliciajane
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Hux,

No luck, I have given up.

The dog I mentioned isn't a dog its a dingo so quite a reasonably sized animal. When he was a pup it worked fine then stopped working which I was told was due to size but even as a pup he was still bigger than my mums fully grown dog so I find that really hard to believe especially when it worked to start with then the update it stopped working. Now he is 6 months old he is much larger and its still hit and miss. Some times it will pick up his movement and sometimes it doesnt. 

Honestly I wont be buying anymore Netgear products which is really disappointing as until now I have been really happy with the products but this is really frustrating and defeats the whole purpose with why I bought them.

I really thought with all of the disappointment with this fault that Netgear would look into it seriously but obviously they dont care. The reason I wont be buying their products anymore isnt due to the issue it is due to their lack of response and care for the customers in resolving this.

Alexcaid
Tutor
Tutor

I noticed detection is better when subject moving sideway (left to right or the other way around) than forward or backward from the camera.

I wonder (and only wonder) if the July 17 firmware did not give priority to the infrared movement detection over the image detection of movement (if the camera is using both).

Nevertheless, very disapointing not to be able to trust than anyone or anything coming nearby home will be detected. It is a bit like a luck / no luck which is not what is expected of a security system.

and no acknowledgment from Netgear. Their answer is always of the like "nothing wrong with our products, did you read our FAQ and did you consider doing that and this your side" ... dispointing lack of consideration.