Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro losing sensitivity

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
AndyMoore
Star
Star

One of my cameras seems to be losing its sensitivity. It is outdoors and has a permanent power feed.

It used to record leaves blowing around and a bird flying maybe 10 mtrs away. It would also pick up a vehicle moving in the road some 30 mtrs away. 

Now it only picks up something moving slowly and at most around 5 mts range.

Obviously I've rebooted the base station and tried different sensitivity levels but cant fix it.

Any ideas or do they wear out?

2 REPLIES 2
jam436
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have the same problem, and a truckload of news ones:

The Arlo apps have always had issues, some big and some small, but these last couple of months have been horrendous.
The number of recurring problems has increased tenfold, even to the point where old, previously fixed issues are returning.
- My thumbnails are mostly dark again, having been fixed in an earlier version - this comes from sampling the first frame, before the infrared kicks in, instead of sampling a frame further into the video. 
- If you're trying to watch videos and clicking on the Forward and Back arrows to see others, after just a few the screen will freeze and it remain blank with a "Loading" message, but the video won't load.
- The Forward and Back arrows only work about 50% of the time now. Are these two problems related?
- Video recording starts much later than it used to. I get up every morning now and see clip after clip with nothing in them. Whatever was there left the field of view before recording began.
- I have 5 cameras. I use most of my cameras for wildlife, namely cat feeders and shelters, as I'm a local caretaker of strays.
All the cameras used to record on their own regardless of whether or not there was another camera recording at the same time. Now, it appears that only one camera can record at a time. If there are two things happening at once in two different locations, I'm now going to miss one of them.
- Camera sensitivity now seems to be a thing of the past. Oftentimes I'll see a clip of a cat approaching a feeder, but there won't be a clip of him leaving, or vice versa. This never happened before but now it happens constantly. Trying to watch videos in chronological order now seems to make no sense. There are so many "holes" in the activity that's it's hard to piece together what you're seeing.
- If your session times out, there are now TWO login screens instead of one. Seriously, what is up with that?
- On the Devices screen, each camera thumbnail has a small indicator in the lower left corner, telling you how long ago the last recording was (eg; "38m ago"). These indicators now randomly vanish for no reason.

ALL of these problems have been introduced or RE-introduced in just the last few months.

It's almost as if the new owners (since breaking off from Netgear last year), have decided to get rid of those of us who still have the old agreements, up to 5 cameras and a week's worth of storage for free.
The newer systems all require paid subscriptions, and I don't see them having all of these problems.

AndyMoore
Star
Star

Now you have highlighted these problems I certainly have some of them, maybe all of them, I hadn't noticed.

I regularly have the portal crash when I try to view an event. I have to login twice to gain entry and have noticed the dark thumbnails and clips with nothing happening.

Have you noticed the lack of sensitivity as well?

If its not going to capture events covering my driveway I'm going to have to scrap the Arlo system and get something reliable.