Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Beancat159
Initiate
Initiate

The camera shows low batter and says to charge, but it won't charge.  One error message said I am using improper charging cable and I am using the one that came with the camera.  I did some of the suggestions about taking the battery out, turning camera off, reinsert battery etc.  The camera does work when plugged in, and does work with the 14% of battery I have left, but I can't get it to charge.  Do I need a new battery? I will get that if needed, but don't want to spend $50 if it is not the battery. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
steve_t
Master Master
Master

You're using the cable that came with the Arlo Pro but are you using the wall adapter? You can't just use any old charger as the Arlo chargers are adaptive chargers meaning they go from 5V to 9V output when they detect compatible hardware. The Arlo Pro cameras need 9V to charge but can run off 5V without the battery inserted

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
steve_t
Master Master
Master

You're using the cable that came with the Arlo Pro but are you using the wall adapter? You can't just use any old charger as the Arlo chargers are adaptive chargers meaning they go from 5V to 9V output when they detect compatible hardware. The Arlo Pro cameras need 9V to charge but can run off 5V without the battery inserted

Beancat159
Initiate
Initiate

Wow and thank you very much!! I was plugging the power cable directly into a USB port on my surge protector.  I found the wall charger you mentioned in my original box and plugged it directly into my power strip and it is charging!! Now I am curious what the USB ports on power strips actually charge? Thanks again! 

steve_t
Master Master
Master

The USB ports on the power strip will pretty much charge anything normal. They'll just not charge the Arlo Pro or Pro 2 cameras and they won't Fast Charge a Samsung phone that has fast charging capability. Not sure of too many other things that use it

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Certain devices need or can use the Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 or 3.0 technology (5v/9v/12v). Newer Samsung phones for example. Devices will state specifically if they can or should use this. Arlo states you must use the charger that came with the device, but mainly to avoid confusion. USB multi outlet devices will also state if one or more of the ports is dedicated Quick Charge 2.0 or 3.0. In a pinch if you are doing in-camera charging, a quick charge port with proper Qualcomm technology will charge your Arlo. Also, all stand alone (outside camera) Arlo and clone battery chargers for Arlo are Qualcomm technology. If a USB charger does not state this technology it most likely will not work.