Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
acemitchell
Aspirant
Aspirant

In the last 3 days two of my Arlo Pro cameras have gone offline.  These two cameras were working just fine for a while (one for over a year the other for four months).  All of a sudden on the same day two of my cameras started reporting that the camera was offline.  What is most peculiar to me is that nothing has changed about the configuration of my network, the location of my cameras, or the location of my base station; however, now the cameras won't stay connected.  I'm able to get the cameras to reconnect with a synch closer to the base station, but when I put them back in their designated locations they go offline almost immediately. 

After some troubleshooting including:

1. Disconnecting and reconnecting the base station.
  2. Recharging the cameras.
  3. Restarting the cameras by removing the batteries.
  4. Removing and readding the cameras to the account. 

I'm still no closer to a resolution.  I spent two hours chatting with support last night and all they're doing is giving me recommendations like this (https://kb.arlo.com/5568/How-can-I-extend-the-range-of-my-Arlo-system).  Not to get too snarky here, but the title of that document should really be, how do I get my base station further away from my router as it doesn't really extend the "range" of the base station at all.  That said, my system is configured following this guidance, as my base station is centrally located in my home and is roughly the same distance from each camera.  

All I can do is pray someone at Arlo realizes that they've changed somethign in their software that is impacting the range of the cameras.  Right now I've got over $500 invested in this gear and its essentially useless because they cameras won't connect. 😞

Any ideas how to get this resolved?

13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Swap at least one camera with another that's working properly. That will tell you if it's the camera or the location that's the problem.

acemitchell
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I've done that too.  When I take my one working camera from it's location and put it in the location where one of the non working cameras is, it looses connectivity too.

The issue I have is that I have changed absolutely nothing about my configuration but now 2/3 of my cameras won't work.  To me, the only explanation for this is the software/firmware on either the base station or the cameras.  If my camera has been working for months I shouldn't have to rethink my whole configuration just because Arlo did a software update. 😞

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First I would test the two cameras closer than their location to see if they stay online ( temp )

Second, I would see if you have added ANY electonic devices that put out a signal in the 2.4 ghz range that may cause interference.

If the cam continue to work closer to the base, then something has change for those locations.

The only TRUE way to expand coverage is multi bases.... all depends on what your location is built of and how far the signal travels well. 

Yes , centering the base is a way to give the best signal to all cams , but sometimes that just isn't enough.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Download WiFi Analyzer from whatever app store you are using. Check the Arlo base signal strength a couple of feet away from the base on 2.4GHz. You should be getting anywhere from -20db to -30db that close (Arlo will display as a name like "Netgear78" or something like that). If you are getting a worse db rating, say in the 40's or 50's your base is not optimal. If you are getting a good reading, check in the areas where you have the cameras. Also check if there re any overlapping strong 2.4GHz signals. You Arlo 2.4GHz signal should be following your main router signal on the same channel. This will tell you if it is the base or if it is enviromment or overlap signal interference.

acemitchell
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, all the cameras do work when they are closer to the base station.  The odd thing here is I haven't added any devices to my environment, it's effectivley been unchanged for months.  I understand that range is an issue, but if nothing has changed in my enviornment (location of base station, location of cameras, other 2.4ghz devices) why should the cameras all of a sudden start having issues with range.

I know why.  Device firmware.  There was a firmware released in august.  Could it be possible that a recent firmware update possibly caused the change in device behavior?  Why does this have to be something that I did?

acemitchell
Aspirant
Aspirant

Per your suggestion I ran a wifi analyzer.  At each of my camera locations the signal strength is in the mid 30s.

Also I verified my local network is running on channel 6 but the arlo network aka NETGEAR13 is running on channel 3, so there should be no interference.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Try putting your router on the same channel as the base

This is how it was designed to be if the base and router are close.

Morse is faster than texting!
acemitchell
Aspirant
Aspirant

why the heck would I do that?  wouldn't that make the arlo internal network conflict with my home wifi network?!

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@acemitchell wrote:

why the heck would I do that?  wouldn't that make the arlo internal network conflict with my home wifi network?!

Here is the explaination from a netgear employee in another forum.......

The Arlo base station transmits on the same channel as the router by design. Primarily, due to the base station and router (access point) being installed in relatively close proximity. So essentially, if the base station is in close proximity to the router (which is most often the case) the base station and the router need to be on the same channel to get the best performance from both.

The BS uses ACS and the ACS algorithm auto selects the best channel to minimise wifi interference. If the base station is near the router, the best channel will be the one the router is on, since it's the strongest signal. Having the base station on the same wifi channel as the strongest signal nearest to the base station, results in the lowest amount of wifi interference. The ACS Daemon routine on the base station runs once a day, so any manual channel change carried out on the router will be reflected in the base station within 24 hours.

Essentially, the Arlo base station by default uses adjacent channel selectivity to auto select the best channel…

acemitchell
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well I think this is totally flawed logic, but I did it anyway largely because I have $500 worth of useless equipment right now.  Unfortunatley it hasn't changed a thing.  None of my cameras will connect at ranges that previously worked without incedent. 😞

This blows, when is someone goign to fess up that Arlo screwed something up with their last firmware update.

Saltcraw
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same exact problem. I have the 5 camera setup. Has worked great for over 10 months. All of a sudden, one camera (the furthest from base) will not connect. Switched cameras etc same problem. Seems range of cameras was reduced on last update. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Saltcraw,

Have you tried to move the base station or router further from each other? It sounds like there may be some interference occurring in the area.

Saltcraw
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nothing in my house/base station/router has been moved. My first camera went down a day or 2 ago, my second went down today. Nothing was touched/moved. I removed today's camera, recharged, removed device, re synced and so far working. The first camera I have working but still has reduced range that I did not have before.