Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro cam - Battery time has gone down rapidly - Switched to optimized quality

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
PatricT
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had my four WMC4030 cameras for approx 1,5 years. 3 of them are placed inside and one placed outside. Earlier, I needed to charge them every 3-4 week or so, even that I had the setting of "best video quality" . The last month, all cameras have started to warn for low battery efter like 3-5 days meaning they use 20-25% of the power every 24 hours. I have switched to "optimized quality" but they still "eat battery".

Is there a setting I miss or should I reset everything och install all again?  Hope to get help here since it´s not possible fo me to charge one of the cameras more or less every day 

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Has anything changed such as the total number of minutes of recording and live viewing? Has some wireless thing been added or moved to a position near the base? If not, a system reset could be useful - be sure to note all settings, modes, rules, etc. to speed the rebuild.

PatricT
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for answer. Total number of minutes of recording and live viewing has not changed or gone up. More the opposite meaning less time. What do you mean with "has some wireless thing been added or moved to a position near the base". I have put in an extender to get better wifi in the other end of the house. Can that "eat battery"? How is this possible in that case?  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

WIreless devices, not just WiFi, that use the 2.4GHz band can cause interference. Try moving the extender to see if there's a difference (or turn it off for a while).

PatricT
Aspirant
Aspirant

I turned of the extender, charged all 4 Arlo cameras to full. 24 hours later all cameras has lost between 20-25% of battery time so the extender does not seem to be the main issue? Suppose a total reset and re-installation is the only option left? I am also planning to switch the externder to a mesh system to have "same network" with better/good quality all over the house. Anybody with experience mesh with Arlo? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A reset/rebuild may be the answer although I'm not at all sure it will. I'd bring a camera closer to the base to see what happens first.

Quite a few folks here are using mesh networks with Arlo in various configurations. No reason it won't work well in conjunction with each other.