Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 14 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
Jabroni
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have 8 cameras. All less than a month old.

7 have worked pretty flawlessly. Havent had to charge the batteries on any of them.

1 constantly has it's battery going dead. Im trying to charge it for the 3rd time this month and now it is telling me that:

"The charging source connected to the camera cannot charge your battery. Please use an Arlo power adapter"

1. I am using the Arlo power adapter

2. This camera/battery has been giving me issues from day one, it appears it finally just died on me

Did I just get a lemon? And if so, how best to handle customer support? Im assuming I just send it in to Netgear and they will send me a new one?

23 REPLIES 23
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The fastest thing to do is swap at the store. If not possible, you'll need to open a case with support.
Jabroni
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat wrote:
The fastest thing to do is swap at the store. If not possible, you'll need to open a case with support.

fair enough.

If I swap at the store, will Best Buy let me exchange the single camera for another?

I bought the cameras in the 4-pack kits. So Im wondering if I could just swap out one camera or do I have to return the entire box of them. That would be a major pain in the ass.

bornie
Guide
Guide

my camera rechargeable battery is a bust as well.  Arlo support is forcing me to return to Netgear for replacement.  Frankly i'm disappointed they are forcing me to return at which time they will replace the battery.. this could take a couple weeks... considering this is a "security" camera system, i'm forced to go without one camera until they receive my defective battery.  The customer svc phone wait is impossible and the chat with someone in the Phillipines is frustrating...I purchased at BB as well.. My 4 camera system is only a couple weeks young... Let me know if BB will allow you to swap out the battery!  Thx!

Jabroni
Apprentice
Apprentice

bornie wrote:

my camera rechargeable battery is a bust as well.  Arlo support is forcing me to return to Netgear for replacement.  Frankly i'm disappointed they are forcing me to return at which time they will replace the battery.. this could take a couple weeks... considering this is a "security" camera system, i'm forced to go without one camera until they receive my defective battery.  The customer svc phone wait is impossible and the chat with someone in the Phillipines is frustrating...I purchased at BB as well.. My 4 camera system is only a couple weeks young... Let me know if BB will allow you to swap out the battery!  Thx!

That was gonna be my next question...

Are we sure it's 100% the battery? Do these camera's have dud batteries from time to time?

Or could it be the camera itself? Being that it isnt even recognizing the charger.

turbosix
Apprentice
Apprentice

1. buy another 4 pack kit

2. swap troublesome camera and battery from 4 pack kit with new one

3. return 4 pack kit

4. ???

5. profit

bornie
Guide
Guide

Yes, battery depleted prematurely, would not recharge,, put battery from another camera into the camera that ran out of juice and it worked fine.. all signs are a defective battery.  Turns out replacement is on the way!!! Beware of defective rechargeable batteries!

AlphaWolfMN
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also have a camera that had problems from day 1. Supposedly the batteries should be charged when you receive them but one of my cameras wouldn't power on right out of the box, so I charged it. Since then it's been nothing but headaches because I couldn't get it to power on for more than a minute at a time. I contacted support and they asked me to swap batteries with one of my other cameras, and low and behold it is a battery fault, nothing wrong with the camera.

They are going to ship a replacement battery, but I hope it doesn't take too long.

bornie
Guide
Guide

Just received my replacement battery today!  Up and running again... will be attentive to future battery issues.  Seems a widespread issue.   

BigDennis57
Apprentice
Apprentice

I attempted this with a camera from a four-pack and Best Buy caught it instantly. The serial numbers did not match between the camera I purchased and the one from the four-pack. The manager eventually swapped it for me, but not until I pitched a fit about returning the entire four-pack over one camera. 

turbosix
Apprentice
Apprentice

wow, i guess kudos to that guy for actually doing his job? there's no way anyone at the best buy near my house would open the box you were returning and check every single serial number. 

BigDennis57
Apprentice
Apprentice

I know what you mean turbosix! I was shocked the lady actually opened the box, took out the camera and compared it to the box label. I just didn't want to be forced to pull down an entire set of cameras over one bad apple. The lady couldn't rectify this for me, but the manager did. As a side note, I charged my first two batteries on the official Arlo Pro 2-battery charging station last night!! They are still scarce, but scored this one from Best Buy. Take care and thanks turbosix!

JIGNACE
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issues. There is not a store nearby I ordered it on Amazon. Please advise 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JIGNACE,

If you have tried the troubleshooting mentioned above and still are experiencing the same behavior, please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

bornie
Guide
Guide

pretty obvious Arlo is having problems with both the rechargeable batteries and chargers and obvious that Arlo knows they have problems.   Arlo should be receptive when expediting returns and replacement.  I would have expected them to reach out to customers, proactively.  I suppose my expectations are too high!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bornie,

Are you experiencing a battery issue? What behavior are you seeing? If there is a hardware problem, support will evaluate the issue and replacements can be provided via warranty claim.

JamesC

BigDennis57
Apprentice
Apprentice

bornie,

I have not experienced any issues, mechanically or electronically, with any of my Arlo Pro equipment. I have a total of 7 batteries, 1 two-bay charger and several wall chargers. They all seem to work flawlessly. However, IF you are talking about availability of said equipment, now that has indeed been a problem! Clearly Netgear underestimated the demand and supplies for this product line. Hopefully, once the present demand is met, these products will be much easier to locate and purchase. I personally would love to see the solar panels soon! Take care!

Dennis  

bornie
Guide
Guide

Dennis,

Arlo IS aware of battery/charger defects and seem to be operating in a state of denial by not publically addressing the problem.  I'm down to 3 of 4 cameras operating from my 4pk Arlo Pro, a buddy that also purchase a 4-pack Arlo Pro system with me is down to 2 of 4 cameras operating because he too is not able to charge his batteries.  He also has reported the problem to Arlo, Best Buy and is in the process of writing a letter to Netscape.  Surprisingly or not, the Arlo CHAT line is not working and the only way to communicate problems to ARLO is via email, or by calling a number where you are put on hold, for upwards to an hour.  I either want new batteries and charger or a refund in full for product defect!

bornie
Guide
Guide

James,,, if you are the moderator then you know Arlo is having battery/charger issues.  The cameras work fine its the rechargeable batteries that are defective or the charging system.  I plugged a camera with over 50% battery life into the the charger for 6 hours and the battery did not charge at all.  I have a buddy experiencing the same difficulty. In fact we both purchased seperate Arlo Pro 4pks at the same time from a local Best Buy.  These cameras were purchased for security purposes.  The are not performing as advertised.  I expect Arlo to address the defects publically and directly.If its thru u as moderator, i expect replacement of the defective parts or a refund for $650.  So,,, direct me to company representative.  So far they are 3 days past my email to them reporting this repeated issue.  The telephone # provided is impossible when trying to speak with someone directly.  Show me that you and Arlo care before I go public with my complaints to Best Buy and my local news source.. Jack

BigDennis57
Apprentice
Apprentice

bornie,

Yes, it definitely sounds like you have a battery issue to me! I am assuming the other 3 batteries are actually charging, using the same charger that didn't charge the one bad battery. Luckily, I  have not experienced issues with either batteries or chargers, but only the future will tell. I sincerely hope you are succesful in getting satisfaction with Netgear. Thanks for the clarification bornie!

Dennis 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bornie,

The behavior you describe is not normal. I have reviewed the case you have open with support and it appears the agent has reached out to you for more information on the issue. I encourage you to continue working with the support team to arrive at a resolution.

JamesC

rpatx
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the 4 camera system. When the batteries were first depleted, or almost depleted, they would not charge up. I opened support case and got the run around based on the problem I described to the support person. I was sent a replacement battery and of course it was 100% charged and then it got depleted and would not charge up with the supplied cable and wall adapter that came with the system. I went to wal-mart and bought a $9 mini-usb cable and that worked to charge the 4 batteries. When the batteries were almost depleted again that cable did not do the trick. I got back with support and eventually convinced them to send a new cable and wall charger and the results are........the batteries will not charge up. I decided to buy the rapid charger ($60 more to Netgear!) and of course no one stocks it. This has been going on since January. Best Buy can't help me and I guess my only choice is to open another support ticket and send all four cameras and batteries back for replacement. I doubt Netgear will do that but I'll try. As a result I've told all my friends about how poor this product is and to not buy it. This is such a dissappointment. I don't have $600 to burn but I guess this is what I did when trusted Netgear. Never again!

rpatx
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, I tested all six batteries in each of my five cameras. I found that three batteries will charge in any camera and three batteries will not charge in any camera. So, I have a 50% failure rate for the batteries.  I sent an email to support listing the serial numbers of all the failed batteries, serial numbers of the cameras and hope for the best.  Well, I do get an email back asking me if my two batteries that will not charge were put into each of my cameras so as to eliminate the cameras as the source of the problem. Hmmm....I clearly said I had six batteries and five cameras and yes I had tested each battery in each camera.  

Ah, the saga with Netgear/Arlo Pro support continues. 90 days and counting.  If I didn't care about the money or the environment I would post a video on youtube of me throwing the entire Arlo Pro camera system on a bonfire. But alas, I am stuck in non-support hades with these guys. 

Good job Netgear creating a vocal critic of your hardware for ever.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

rpatx,

From your description it sounds like one or more pieces of hardware potentially the camera(s) and/or battery could be defective. I encourage you to continue working with support to arrive at a resolution. If you need any further assistance, feel free to reach out to me via private message and I will offer any additional feedback that I can.

JamesC