Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
l00ker
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, looking for help with my Arlo Pro system purchased new from Costco about a year ago. We have 3 cameras, all indoors, same floor as router, less than 50 feet from router. They are turned on only when we go out (1x-2x daily for maybe an hour up to 3 hours), generally daytime only. There is almost no motion detected when they are on because nothing much is happening in our house except for the dog (who tends to not move around much when we are out). In other words, they are not recording anything very often. Why are the batteries constantly running low? I have had to charge them several times since purchasing them; a full charge only lasts about one month, not several months as advertised. According to our account info the latest software was downloaded less than 2 weeks ago so I am assuming it is not that. Is it something about the Costco ones? Is it something else? Should they just be left on all the time? What is wrong with this picture?

17 REPLIES 17
Streak2
Master Master
Master

When you say "They are turned on only when we go out". What method are you using to turn them off? 

Your batteries under these circumstances should last many months.

brh
Master
Master

@l00ker

You might try turning off the Night Vision and see if that helps. Even though the cameras are off the IR LEDs might be flashing every time motion is detected in the house. That can drain the batteries.

Brian

l00ker
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for answering. We use the app to turn them on and off. 

l00ker
Aspirant
Aspirant

There really isn't any activity in the areas where we have the cameras so I don't think that is what is happening here; they don't have any movement to record. (I just walked in front of one that is currrently turned off to double check and no light flashes, nothing happens.) 

Streak2
Master Master
Master

There are a few ways to do this using the app.

Which method are you using?

Camera on/off?

Trun off motion detection etc.

lohki82
Star
Star

These "superusers" can keep giving you placebo remedies but search the forums and you'll see this a huge reoccurring issue with MANY users.  

I've had these for over a year and my batteries lasted multiple months, even through sub zero winter weather.  Sometime around May there was a firmware update which turned the battery issue into a dumpster fire for many users and netgear CANNOT put it out.  

I have mine set to only record when we are away OR if it is between the hours of 8p and 6a.  My main two cameras generate no more than 5 recordings per day.  I have 3 cameras which are covering the rear of my property which have ZERO recordings for this last battery recharge cycle... which was 7-27-18.  It is now 8-11-2018 and all of my cameras are sub 35%.

NO amount of toggling settings will fix a huge underlying firmware issue.

Sorry.  Search the forums and get in line with the rest of us.

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Mine drain fast too. Armed disarmed on off doesnt matter. Ive done numerous tests to try to figure it out and it doesnt seem to matter. They just drain. They were fixed in may for a short time . now im back to charging every week or two. I used to get 2 months or more. I have alot of traffic in my area so 50+ videos a day is common. I have noticed they drain overnight with no activity as well. But as stated earlier with no communication from them we are pretty much stuck playing a waiting game. Whats also wierd is i bought a new pro camera a week ago and its fine. No drain. So 2 out of 3 are draining fast . the new camera is an h 11 model other 2 are h 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While there are a number of folks here with the battery drain issue, it's not as widespread as it may seem or the forum would have to be shut down due to the huge numbers of people posting. For the record, none of my cameras (original, Pro and Pro 2) nor my lights have the issue. I don't know why.

We "superusers" are just users like you who have been around too long and tried to answer too many questions and post possible solutions to problems. We can't fix hardware or firmware - we're not even employees. I'm retired IT and try to help out even when I don't have all the information from either side. All we can do is suggest. Whether it helps or not depends on way too many things.

brh
Master
Master

@jguerdat

Very well stated. We don't get paid for trying to help people solve their issues. I think there is something about us that wants others to have a system that works as well for them as it does for us. Troubleshooting can be a long and painful process. But rather than make comments like that, a person with problems should say to themselves, "what are they doing that I am not."

Brian

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Were not doing anything youre not doing. Has nothing to do with that. Its on arlos end
brh
Master
Master

@Wklovelace3

You very well may be right. I have followed your posts for a long time and you have given good advice to many people. All I am trying to say is that if I have the same problem as others, when I have tried everything to solve the problem and can't then I believe that Arlo has a problem. But, if I am not experiencing the problem, which I am not in this case, then I try to at least eliminate the most common causes for a problem. If these common causes are not fixing the problem, then, well, maybe someone with more experience can chime in with a solution. If I am able to solve the problem then I state very loudly and clearly that I have solved it and how I solved it.

Brian

Wklovelace3
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
All i want is a working system. Thats what i paid for. Its very frustating that they fix the battery issue then a month later it comes back. And because its not a widespread issue it apparently doesnt matter to Arlo. There not the ones climbing the ladder every week. All these features yet none work. My activity zones dont work nor does my schedule or geofen cing. And the web browser says one thing and the app another. So its obviously a glitch somewhere. My inside camera is draining at same rate as the outside. Inside sees maybe 10 videos a week vs over 100 for outside
lohki82
Star
Star

But rather than make comments like that, a person with problems should say to themselves, "what are they doing that I am not."

There are only so many things which can be done with these devices.  There is no CLI, we are not setting up a DHCP scope, managing a layer 2/3 device, configuring IDS/IPS, etc...  It's a closed camera system with limited toggle options.  The problem lies in the firmware.  No advice or decades of IT experience which leads to suggesting switching ON/OFF settings can assist us in fixing the battery drain issue absent a direct firmware update.  These devices should work as advertised and designed with limited or no interaction from the user.

While it may not affect every user or shutting down the forum page, it's definitely pronounced enough to be affecting a large user base despite any suggested workaround or fixes.  Now if it's a certain manufactured batch or not remains to be seen.  

So, instead of insinuating it may be user error and they should "do what someone else is doing" whom is fortunate enough to have a working as intended batch, let's acknowledge there is a definite issue on Netgear's side which they are not fixing at any acceptable rate.  

Jacobmarley
Aspirant
Aspirant

batteries do not last

I have done every suggestion I have seen on this site.  Nothing helps. They actually loose charge sitting on the table. They last about 3 weeks max. I purchased the extended warranty .  the store took back the batteries. the new ones lasted 6 weeks after the first charge. From then on every charge 2 to 3 weeks. I have let them totally run out thinking maybe they are developing a memory . Base station  2.4g  vmb4000   pro

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Jacobmarley,

Which cameras are you experiencing the issue with? What is the signal strength & sensitivity set to? Do you have the recording until motion stops enabled?

JerryR
Luminary
Luminary

You can add me to the sufferers list of short battery life in my Arlo Pros. Prior to May I was getting well over 100 days of life. Then it dropped into the 60s and 70s. Now I'm down to 20-30 days.

Apizam1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Every Arlo user knows what “turned on” should mean. Everyone “Arms” their cameras when they are out.