Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
KevinCanWait
Guide
Guide

Arlo Pro base station and 4 camera were connected and working. 

Then one day, the base station and cameras all said they were offline.

No event hppened that would have affected them. Tried to reset several times No luck. Followed other peoples suggestions to try to revive it. No luck.

Sick and tired of searching for answers every evening and wasting time trying to get the base station online. Tired of wasting my time trying to figure out if there is a miracle of a chance in the universe to contact soeone from support. 

Someone from the company needs to reply with simple, but thorough, and accurate instructions that solve the problem quickly and without trouble shooting questions. I see that a few thousand people here have had the same symptoms, but the solutions are draining. Need something simple. 

Great product...........when it works.

61 REPLIES 61
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, what are the LEDs on the base showing?  SHould be 3 green ones - anything else is a problem.

You mention resetting but that means different things to different people.  There's using the restart button in the app/browser as well as using the power switch or unplugging the base.  None of those eset but do restart the system to a known configuration.  To reset, you either need to remove all devices in Settings, My Devices or use the reset button on the base until the LEDs flash amber.  If you do the latter, you still need to do the former - remove all devices from Settings, My Devices. Also, open and close all battery doors (for Pro cameras reinstall the batteries).

Then start fresh by using the Add Device button on the Devices tab to add the base and then sync the cameras. Be sure to only briefly press the base sync button - don't hold it.

The LEDs on the base tell us the most.  However, firmware updates need to be installed if available.  It should be noted on the Devices tab but you can also check Settings, My Devices for any devices with a red triangle, indicating an update is available.

BTW, has anything changed in your network, especially the modem and/or router?  WHo owns those devices - you or the ISP?  ISPs have been known to make settings in the router that will block Arlo access.  Regardless of who owns them, power cycling both would be a useful step since they can get stupid at times, too.

wvlucas
Guide
Guide

I too am experiencing the same issue of the base station going offline, a lot. It has become to the point that it is unreliable. I have followed all of the troubleshooting steps and the base station comes back online, but always drops the connection after a while. Does anyone have a solution to this issue? The camera and base station are expensive and should not act like a cheap piece of junk.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What are the LEDs showing when offline?  Is the Internet LED off, amber or green? Have you power cycled all your network equipment - modem, router and base? WHat is your upload speed as measured by speedtest.net?

Ozzy_D
Tutor
Tutor
Same issue here, i keep getting messages regarding disconnections. I'm on a reliable fiber internet network and none of my other devices loose connectivity. It seems the issue got worse once i updated my samsung S7 edge to N Nougat, the issue seems to be only while the Geofencing mode is on. Please fix it.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ozzy_D,

Does the base station actually go offline ( what is the LED behavior) when you notice these error messages? Do you see the same behavior when using a computer?

JamesC

Ozzy_D
Tutor
Tutor

No changes on the Base Station LEDs behavior, as per my computers in the house there is no loss of connectivity for the LAN devices or for those devices connected via Wi-Fi. I even tried switching the LAN connection from the base station to the router to a different port behind the router and the issue continues to randomly occur.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ozzy_D,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

12mk21
Star
Star

I am having the same issue. Got a 4 camera system with base station little over 2 weeks ago. It was working fine until today. All cameras are offline. This seems like a common and known issue with this system after doing a search. I just contacted support and opened a ticket. Hope there is a real fix to this. I read on other threads a complete reset is required. If this is the only fix on this problem I will be returning this for a full refund. It would be a PITA to have to do this every few weeks. All the cameras are mounted around the house. This means everytime this glitch occurs, we will need to unmount them and bring them close to the base station to resync the after a complete reset. fingers cross, hope the support team have a better solution, if not this is going back.

PS. this is a great system when everything works. The only other complaint I have is the extremely laggy Mobile app and Browser base page. It always takes forever to get system status when trying to Arm and Disarm. They definitely need to fix this as well.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

12mk21,

Have you tried rebooting the base station (using the on-off button)? Also, when you notice this issue, what is the LED behavior on the base station? Is it actually going offline, it could be a display issue with the browser/app you are using.

JamesC

12mk21
Star
Star

Hi JamesC,

Yes I have tried both pulling the power connector and also switching the On-Off button and wait 1 minute before powering back on. then waited for all the LEDs to turn solid Green. It does not work. This is not a hardware problem. the issue fixed itself overnight without doing anything on our end. This was definitely an issue with the reliability of the Arlo/NetGear server that handles the service. I know this is because even though during the offline problem, there were motion events that triggered soem recordings. I have USB memory attached to Base Station. (BTW, since the server was offline, I have no way of accessing the Base Station to safely eject the USB memory. So made sure to switch the power off before removing the USB memeory from the Base Station.) Then I review the videos in the USB on a computer. All the triggers that happened when your Arlo server was offline recorded on to the USB without problem. But you see the problem is when you guys have issue with your server, we have no way of getting event push notifications/email notifications nor any of the videos will upload to your server. So I like to make a suggestion for you guys to include in your future firmware update in the event that your Server causes offline problem:

So for people who have an USB inserted into the Base Station, Since all the triggered videos are recorded onto the USB backup memory and they did not upload to Arlo Server becasue of yoru server glitches/ So once the system goes back online, you need to tell base sation to uploaded those videos to the server. Of course this is only a bandaid, but is better than nothing. The best solution is to make sure the Arlo server have a 100% uptime. then we would not have this problem. But please consider this. so even when your server is down for a breif moment, at least we will get to see what went on at a later time even when we are away from home, say on vacation or something.

CaptTaz
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am facing the exact same problem! Have you solved this problem yet?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

CaptTaz,

What is the LED behavior on the base station? What have you tried so far to get the system back online? Please provide more details on the issue so we can assist.

JamesC

CaptTaz
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have tried using another power outlet, nothing is working at all. I recycled the on/off switch multiple times with no luck, the base station is dead. I'm not getting any LED lights.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It would seem to be a hardware problem.  No LEDs at all implies a bad power supply or base.  Open a case with support.

sonnshine
Aspirant
Aspirant

His this issue been resolved? 

I have an issue with my base station.

All systems working until this morning. No power outages or internet disruptions.

Issue:
All 3 base station lights are on, however when I log onto the app or from a web browser, it shows that the station is offline.

Please advise if there is a fix.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

sonnshine,

Consider a base station reboot using the on-off button. Allow the base station to come back online and try again. Do you still see the same behavior?

JamesC

Noslek
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same issue. I have an Arlo Pro 3 camera system and all was working fine for the first few days then Basestaion just goes offline for no apparent reason. All 3 LEDs are on, nothing has changed, all computers and other devices on my LAN are fine (wired and wireless), yet the basestation has decided to go offline.

I have tried more than one machine to connect and more than one browser. The only way to sort it was to switch it off, wait, then switch it back on.

We should not have to reboot/turn off/on a device costing almost £700 just to get it working when clearly there are glitches with the system. If I was away on holiday, how would I be expected to turn the base station on/off etc in response to this behaviour. Come on NetGear, fix the problem properly.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Noslek,

If the internet LED remains green this indicates that the base station is not actually going offline and could point to a display issue with the client you are using to view. When you experience this behavior, does the internet LED turn amber or does it remain green?

JamesC

redminirex9
Aspirant
Aspirant

My base station continually says offline when I sign into my account either from my computer or my phone.  I still get motion alerts but cannot view live feed to see what is happening.  I have only had this system since the middle of July.  It was working fine until a couple days ago when it started doing this.  I removed the battery from the Arlo Pro camera and reinstalled.  I also unplugged the base station waited 5 minutes and then plugged it back in.  Still nothing.  How can I get motion alerts but not be able to see live feed? 

12mk21
Star
Star
Most of these offline problem are caused by Arlos's servers. There is nothing wrong with our hardware or internet connections. I am not sure if customers on the upgraded paid subscriptions get these as often as the ones that use their basic free plans. I use their free plan and I get this offline problem a lot. Arlo never fix this since I reported it above. I like to see someone that has a paid plan chime in to see if they get this offline issue as often.
twobigjeeps
Initiate
Initiate
I just bought/setup my 6-camera system a few days ago., and paid for the $99/yr plan. Started getting the offline message today. All 3 lights on the base station are green, and the cameras are still recording and sending clips to my library (which I can access via the iPhone app).

I turned the power on/off, and same behavior. If the only way to fix this is to detach the cameras from their locations and re-sync, they will be coming down permanently and the whole system will be getting returned. For $950, I expect full functionality with little to no effort.

Please help.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you don't open a case with support, little can be done since they may not know.

smarjora
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've ran into the same issue... Came home, geofencing switched and I received a message that the Base was offline.  I've tried all suggestions.  I finally performed a Factory Reset, removed batteries from the cameras.  Started from scratch.   Now the base powers up both LED's green.  I  launch the App and Add a Device.  It sits there, then receive message Your Base Station could not be discovered.  It suggests Try a Factory Reset.  I did this three times.. The unit is now toast.   Any suggestions?  Sounds like a known problem, possibly at ARLO server end?? 

Thanks!! 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Open cases with support.