Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
noneedlessnoise
Aspirant
Aspirant

If Netgear goes out of business and shuts down the cloud service, what functionality does the arlo and base station retain? Can I still record locally? How is the recorded footage stored? File types?

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

noneedlessnoise wrote:

If Netgear goes out of business and shuts down the cloud service, what functionality does the arlo and base station retain? Can I still record locally? How is the recorded footage stored? File types?

The PRO records to both the cloud and the USB drive... so if the internet goes down, it will still record to the local USB drive. ( which you supply )

The USB drive must be formatted in FAT32 and the files are in the mp4 format

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
noneedlessnoise
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you! Are you able to farm out that footage so you'd still be able to get alerts of some kind? I know that's kind of an advanced question.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

noneedlessnoise wrote:

Thank you! Are you able to farm out that footage so you'd still be able to get alerts of some kind? I know that's kind of an advanced question.

Don't understand what your looking for... but if the internet is down, there will be no alerts ( pushes or email ).

But you will have the local recordings... ( btw if internet comes back , those prev recordings  will not update / be in the cloud )

Morse is faster than texting!
Dill_
Apprentice
Apprentice
Netgear's stock is actually quite solid with good growth year over year. This new Arlo Pro will do nothing but help. Going out of business is not in this companies future.
throwaway-bye
Aspirant
Aspirant

Alerts to your smartphone needs cloud. If Netgear goes out of business and cloud is gone, your smartphone app will stop working. You cameras will keep recording to USB drive. But you will have to take out usb disk and plug it into computer to see what was recording. Like a old camera with disk tape only difference is arlo will record with motion and audio.