Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
texasyankee
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased a three camera system at Costco - we have two iPhones in the house that go out of and return to  at different times - I want to automate the arming and disarming of the system, so I'm using geofencing function - the arming and disarming seems to work fine when just one phone is defined and enabled to the system and I go out of and back into the defined, small radius zone - but when I add the other phone (already invited and accepted), it's not recognized and shows as unavailable - so, when I leave the house and my girlfriend stays, the system arms and my girlfriend's motion sets off the alarm. 

Numerous calls and emails with technical support haven't fixed the problem for me and when I finally talked to a second level tech person, he told me that there are known issues with a second phone situation and that they're working on it, and I'm on a list (along with other similarly affected customers) to be notified when they fix the issue - no guesstimate on when it'll be fixed. 

And then I read different threads here that describe what people did to get geofencing working correctly on their systems working with two phones - I've followed the recommended procedures and still no love.

So, I'm ready to return the system to Costco - any suggestions??   

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No real help or ideas..... Two phones have been an issue. It seems to be related also to model phone and OS.

Some work , some don't.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
texasyankee
Aspirant
Aspirant

SO I see  . . . any idea how to get to someone at Arlo or who I'd need to get to at Arlo that'll have insight into the development effort to fix the problem ?  The first-level tech people that catch the calls \ emails don't seem to have any insight into when the problem might be fixed.

I really like the system and the geofencing functionality (if it were working properly), but with it not working with our two phones, it's essentially useless - if I have to arms and disarm the system manually, there are other, less expensive alternatives.  THANKS!

jecampo
Tutor
Tutor

I don't know if this will help you but I believe I know what is happening. Assume Home == Away and Away == Home and set your Arlo system that way. I believe that when updating the iphone application Arlo may have inverted the Home and Away titles, it is working for me after I set the Home setting as Away and the Away seting as home.   In summary the titles Home and Away are wrong, in my case (I also have and iphone 😎 the geofencing is working but the lables are wrong. 

LawnMM
Star
Star
They're having server issues again today, I can't log in to mine at all
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There don't seem to be other posts about outages and I've had no problems. I suspect it's something local to your system.

LawnMM
Star
Star

Last time they had an outage I was unable to access it from my phone, it treated me as though logged out. Every time I'd try to log in it would fail to log in and say "your session has expired." Over and over again. 

Same thing this morning even after power cycling the base station, the phone, everything. It's been resolved since I went out for my run, and fortunately web access was still available so I was able to arm it before I left. I suspect it's something local to their android app authentication server/service, which was the speculation during the big outage on black friday.

Edited to add - On black friday people were freaking out because they couldn't set up their system. The authentication issue was giving them fits and they thought it was a bad unit, etc. I just noticed not being able to use the android app for a while this morning and this gentlemen having issues, perhaps they were related.

texasyankee
Aspirant
Aspirant

We're using two iPhones, an iPhone 6 and a 6s - both are on the current iOS, 11.1.2. 

It's nothing to do with the Home and Away labels - the system simply does not recognize the second phone, always showing it as "Unavailable".

texasyankee
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm not a programmer, but I worked in the software industry (technical sales) for 30 years and I can't believe that Arlo can't provide any guidance about fixing this problem - it ain't rocket science.