Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro-WiFi signal - better to have stronger output to cameras or stronger connection to base?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Lawn4cr72
Follower
Follower

So when it comes to your WiFi signal to the cameras is it better that you have a stronger signal ouput to your cameras (buy a wifi extender place near camera locations) or a stronger connection to the base station.  My link signal for cameras is 1 bar out of 3 on one camera and 2 out 3 on the second.  Would a extender help that bump up or should I try and move my router/base station closer?  Moving my router and base station would be difficult.  Hope my question is not to confusing and thanks for the help in advance.  

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The only way to improve the signal between the base and cameras is to reposition the base and/or cameras. Your WiFi has no bearing on the base-camera connection which is unto itself. You could use a WiFi extender with an Ethernet port to help locate the base in a more central location relative to the cameras.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Centrally locate the base unit if possible.... or move the base to a wifi extender with an ehternet port to do so.

An extender will do nothing for the cameras ( Arlo/Arlo Pro/Arlo Pro2 ) as they talk only to the base unit.

( or you can run multi bases for better signals as it is the only true way to expand your coverage area )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------