Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Technojames
Apprentice
Apprentice

It has just been announced that HomeKit will be implemented on the Arlo Pro 2 and 4K Cameras.

Why not on the Arlo Pro?

Could I get an explanation as to why this isn't possible?

13 REPLIES 13
ChrisMehling
Guide
Guide

Great question! I've been waiting for this also and am very disappointed that Homekit doesn't appear to be supported on the Pro cameras. 

ARLO, Many of us have significant investments already in these cameras and this is a turnoff to want to buy my Arlo devices to add to my system. 

Is it a hub issue? If a new hub is purchased, will the Pro camera work with Homekit?

ARLO please answer...

svtdriver
Guide
Guide

Same here. If I have to purchase new hardware for HomeKit support, then the evaluation will include other companies. Even if only a limited set of features were possible, that's better than none. Ideally, triggers and Siri support are what interest me personally. 

ChrisMehling
Guide
Guide

Yes, SVT...

I'm really interested in getting Homekit to recognize the motion sensor on the cameras so that I can turn on lights. The second thing I'd like to do is to trigger cameras to start recording based on some other SIRI action. 

I can do this through something like IFTTT, but I'd like it to be native in Homekit. If I have to buy all new cameras to make this happen, I'm going to look at all available options again.

Is ARLO listening?

Technojames
Apprentice
Apprentice

Agree. Triggers would be perfect.

mcavopol
Initiate
Initiate

Very curious to hear a reply. As it stands without homekit support (as was originally promised), I plan on returning my Arlo Pro's and not repurchasing 2's or Ultra's

ChrisMehling
Guide
Guide

No reply yet... I did try to call the USA support number and unfortunately ended up in an "out of the USA" call center and they were unfamiliar with the recent news to support Homekit.

migman_2001
Luminary
Luminary
I too am disappointed that the Homekit will not be supported on the older cameras, but I get the impression that the functionality may be in the new hub. Now if the hub is sold separately, I could be on board.
I may then be able to ditch the Hue hub and also not have to rely on have the HomeKit have to rely on my iPad.
And some of the new sensors look promising.
And there seems to be backwards compatibility with the cameras.
So the question is will they sell the new hub separately?
ChrisMehling
Guide
Guide

Migman, yeah I wish someone from Arlo would confirm that. I think I would have no problem buying a hub, or hub and a camera(s). What I don't want to do is throw away my already existing cameras that work fine. I can't imagine that there is anything special with them as it relates to Homekit and all the magic is in the HUB.

So... the question for ARLO, that tech support can't answer would be if we have an Arlo Pro 2 hub with Arlo Pro cameras connected to it, will those Arlo Pro cameras work with Homekit????

cgram23
Initiate
Initiate

Good news!

Per a Twitter response from @ArloSmartHome,:

"HomeKit support will be coming later in Q1 for Arlo Ultra, Pro 2 and Pro."

ChrisMehling
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the Twitter update! I went and checked there as well and I see that they are making that statement several times.  I wonder why they didn't just say that in the Press Release. Now we gotta see if they follow through.

Technojames
Apprentice
Apprentice

Now I just want confirmation they have not removed the free basic service:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Free-Basic-Subscription-for-Arlo-Pro/m-p/1668095#M51652

Anyone else noticed that the App now asks for a subscription when you try to look at recordings?

Technojames
Apprentice
Apprentice
I think they have edited Twitter to remove reference to Arlo Pro..... can you find the Tweet?
svtdriver
Guide
Guide