Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Unacceptable Grainy and Pixelated Video 2 - 3 Secs for Security

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
DDarko
Star
Star

Hello,

i just bought (5 days ago)  the arlo pro system for my home (4) cameras and i noticed when motion detection is on, the first 2 -  3 secods of the video are pixelated and grainy. I called tech support ( tonight) and after 30 minutes of troubleshooting the support team told me (they asked second level support) that “the 2 - 3 seconds pixelation is normal because the camera is booting up”.  For me the first 2-3 seconds are as important as the rest (especially if the camera is set to the default 10 seconds).  Is this is true i will need to retun the system because there is no point of getting a pixelated video that you cant even recognized yourself. 

If someone has a fix let me know...these cameras are a bit too expensive for pixelated and grany video.  I can get a samsung (4 cameras) system for $300 at 1080p but decided to spend more for the simplicity of the arlo pro at a lower resolution (720p). For non grany and non pixelated video, i am willing to run cables.

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The times I have seen pixelation at the start up has been to iris adjustment... not bootup.  I don't see this with mine.

(( also check your signal levels ))

This can be normal but also can be change depending on what the camera is facing re light levels ( like not into very sunny in morning ).

Try changing the angle of the view in the day and also keep reflective side walls / objects out out view if using IR at night.

Since you just bought, you always have the optional to return if you watch the dates and are not happy with results

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
DDarko
Star
Star

Thanks,  my signal levels are good, i positioned them in different places, same results. i will return them. The reason behind going with this system (expensive) vs the samsung (not expensive) was ease of use.  At this point i have done more than a simple set up. No need to stress over a non working like advertised set of cameras.  

I was so proud of my arlo pro that i recommended to some of my facebook and tweeter friends.  Now i have to tell them not to buy them, they are nothing but just a motion detection system (for that i have a raspberry pi and sensors and they only cost me $55).  

Thanks again for ur help.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Almost definetly a lighting issue. I am able to duplicate a grainy start or a pixelated image if the lighting conditions are not ideal. And this will be true for other residential use cameras on the market as well. Available light is key. If you have just enough light to keep the camera from going into night vision, but not enough light for a clear picture, you'll get pixelation. In my attached garage, when I changed the shades on the windows, I had this issue. Not enough light for a clear picture, but enough to keep it out of night vision resulting in a less than clear, grainy, picture. The solution is easy........ add a smart bulb that also emits infrared light. The room lights up with the light on or off since the infrared emits constantly, even when the bulb is off. I also paired the bulbs to a smartthings sensor and the cameras motion sensor, so when there is motion the lights come on and I'm sure to get a clear 720p video.