Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
jlong49
Follower
Follower

So, when is the release date?  Like others, have one of four cameras in difficult to reach spot also a high traffic area.  Not looking forward to hauling out the extra large A-frame ladder and a solar panel charger is the ideal solution -- assuming it works well.  I have seen other posts.  No real answer has been give. This is not rocket science fellas.  Why can't Netgear get off the dime and provide an answer and the solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mr_wizard
Initiate
Initiate

I received solar panel from Best Buy on 7/15/17. Installed and working well. Fully charged prior to connecting. Battery stays at 100%

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

"No real answer has been given" Actually they've given out real answers a few times, only to be delayed time after time. Last update has them being available for sale in July. 

ranran
Apprentice
Apprentice

...if this is anything like the battery chargers, prepare to see them delayed until next year....

silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Best buy has them for sale now. Saw them at the store and online today.
superben79
Apprentice
Apprentice

show me the bestbuy link or it is fake.

ranran
Apprentice
Apprentice

I certainly can't find this anywhere...... yes, please provide a link.....???

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

Fake post.

silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I called bestbuy shortly after seeing them online and he told me that they DIDNT have them yet, he pulled them up online and told me they were for the ring camera and was a typo on there website. I just checked there site before posting this reply and now it says ring solar panel.

I even showed a guy at work the site as he has the system also and was ready to go to bestbuy and get them after work.

mr_wizard
Initiate
Initiate

I received solar panel from Best Buy on 7/15/17. Installed and working well. Fully charged prior to connecting. Battery stays at 100%

ranran
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am ecstatic to be eating my words by seeing these available for purchase right now.  I'll probably pick up a few this fall when changing batteries in the winter becomes unappealing..... 🙂

BigDennis57
Apprentice
Apprentice

I got busy and completely forgot about the release of the solar panels! A friend mentioned that he saw them on Best Buy's website and I started shopping! I actually placed an order for 3 panels today through Amazon. Amazon and Frye Electronics have the panels for $69.99 and free shipping. Not sure what the shipping is for Best Buy, but the panels were listed at $79.99, so Amazon won! I am hearing nothing but good things about these panels and looking forward to installing them! I downloaded the Simply Solar application today and it seems like it will be a fairly straightforward installation and adjustment. 

BigDennis57
Apprentice
Apprentice

Great news!! I placed an order with Amazon today and hopefully mine will be here soon. I bought a long-handled grabbing tool for pulling cameras down to charge batteries, but this will be really nice not having to even worry about them at all! Thank you Netgear!  

Haulero
Apprentice
Apprentice

So.... Camera still waterproof when it's plugged to the solar panel? my cameras are outdoors, no shade, exposed to rain, so I wonder if having the cable plugged in to the camera may cause water to leak in and run the camera?

BigDennis57
Apprentice
Apprentice

I haven't received my panels yet, but from the photos, it appears the power plug will replace the weather plug to preserve weather resistance. Since you will no longer be opening the case, to charge batteries, there may be water resistant silicone sealant that could be used as a secondary protection around the power cable. Most cable installations require there be a loop below the entrance to prevent water from following the cable to the entrance. I suspect this is all that is really necessary. Can't wait to install them and try it! 

Dennis

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

The plug itself is an "L" shaped plug, most likely done just for that reason. I agree a little sealant won't hurt though. For me, my camera's are mounted under a porch over hang and the eve of the house. Not rain proof but fairly dry.

BigDennis57
Apprentice
Apprentice

Drake,

I noticed that "L" shaped plug in the photos. I suspect it will do a good job of sealing that area as well. I have some silicone sealant I use on pool connections that may give it that extra bit of protection, but it may not need it. YES, my cameras are all mounted to my soffitts and overhangs, so they are not completely out of the weather, but very close to it. I suspect I will mount the panels on the facia and then simply run the cables behind the cameras and loop any extra cable at that location. Should be interesting to say the least! Thanks Drake!

Dennis

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

BigDennis57,

The camera will remain weatherproof when using the solar panel by design. Be sure all connections between the panel and the camera are tight and secure, please let us know if you experience any issues.

JamesC

BigDennis57
Apprentice
Apprentice

James,

Thank you for the clarification on the cameras remaining weather resistant! I am looking forward to getting these installed, once they arrive. Thank you once again!

Dennis

mr_wizard
Initiate
Initiate

Happy to report that after 10 days in service, the solar panel maintains battery charge between 98 and 100 %

MIK3
Initiate
Initiate

I connected 4 Arlo Solar Panels to Arlo Pro cameras that are mounted outdoors.  After raining for a couple of hours, one of the 3 began displaying an error in the app that the charging sources was incompatible.  I dried off the connector and reconnected it.  It started charging again.  Two days later, after more rain, it started again.  Should I reinforce the seal with silicone or is there something wrong with the solar panel?IMG_0013.PNG

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've had issues with the seal between the camera and panel connector leaking.  Definitely open a case - perhaps the seal on the connector is faulty. Obviously, make sure the plug is fully seated but it may also be useful to use a waterproof gasket sealant to lubricate the gasket as well as to fill in any small gaps in the seal.

If it's truly a seal issue, the more feedback to support, the better.

Jeff3113
Apprentice
Apprentice
Just an FYI......Had the solar panels on backorder with Frys for 2 months. GAVE UP.
Instead, got 20 ft cables and ran those to a convenient place to access with the AC charger. All cameras charged nicely (~2 hours each).
Appears to be a reasonable "plan B" given the COST and connectivity issues with the solar panels.
Just an FYI. ...
BigDennis57
Apprentice
Apprentice

I hear you! The vast majority of outdoor cameras really need to be on the solar panels, BUT I have two more that I am thinking seriously about powering with the new 20" cables! The price was right and the installation is straight forward. Take care and thanks!

Dennis