Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 45 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
yellowsubmarine
Tutor
Tutor

I saw a review on Amazon that stated, "Don't use these if you rely on the night vision. They are an attractive and malleable silicone skin you slip over the cameras. I really like the look, and since I use my Arlo Pro system outdoors these looked perfect. But after putting them on, I noticed the edges of the black "hood" that extend from the front of the camera just barely catch in the lens' field of view and ever so slightly reflect the IR lights, which at night time brightens the edges of the screen and dims the stuff in the distance. My night time depth of view went from 30+ feet with the IR to maybe 5-10 feet with these hoods on."

If anyone has this skin can you comment if the review is on point?  Thanks!

45 REPLIES 45
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I bought the real ones from newegg.com. after it snowed last night I had no no water on the lens just stayed clear. As far as seeing through there was no difference the night vision work just as well so overall I am hundred percent satisfied
BansheeRider
Apprentice
Apprentice

Got my skins. Sorry for the rotated pics. So far so good with these. They fit perfect and are not interfering with the video.

IMG_5732.JPG

IMG_5735.JPGIMG_5737.JPGIMG_5736.JPG

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Awesome, waiting for pics to be approved. Wish Amazon would get their stock fixed.
BansheeRider
Apprentice
Apprentice

manofice wrote:
Awesome, waiting for pics to be approved. Wish Amazon would get their stock fixed.

Ha looks like I may have gotten the last few. Its supposed to storm here all weekend so I'm looking forward to seeing how these hold up.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
We had basically an ice storm last night and now it's snowing, cameras are holding up nicely without protection, but one camera would greatly benefit from the skins. Gotta order these!
BansheeRider
Apprentice
Apprentice

manofice wrote:
We had basically an ice storm last night and now it's snowing, cameras are holding up nicely without protection, but one camera would greatly benefit from the skins. Gotta order these!

Yes they hold up nice without skins. Do you know why my pics have to be approved? Is it because I'm a new member?

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
No, any pics posted need approval.
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

AUTX:

Did that affect the magnetic hold in any way? I was thinking that covering it with paint it might reduce the magnet strength. Any problems with that?

Thanks,

Paul

AUTX
Star
Star

Paul_FCCL,

The paint does not affect the magnet at all.  Its a VERY strong magnet and i only put one coat of plastidip on the base.  

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

you have posted images but are the night images with or without IR night vision toggeld to on or off?

AUTX
Star
Star

In the night photo i posted, the IR is on.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks.

I would be interested to see what the image looks like with the IR on and the ambients lights off. Maybe at dusk but not pitch dark.

Mine are reflecting off my silicone hood and everything is washed out.

First image is without IR second is with IR

2.jpg

1.jpg

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Same test without the skin would be useful. The "flare" is evenly distributed, leading me to believe it's not the hood of the skin. I'd think the hood would cause a graduated flare.
DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I'll try that but it won't be for a couple of months. Middle of winter is too difficult to go up 13 feet, unscrew from the mount and pull the USB from under the soffit.
DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It may or may not be the hood but I am leaning towards it being caused by the hood.

I took another set of images and If you look at the very top right corner (the left top is the bottom of a rain gutter) you will see the visible part of the hood which is definitely reflecting the IR. It is bright white. 

Multiply that by the part of the hood you can't see in then image and I would bet that the hood is causing the issue.

Since I haven't seen any other image samples from anyone else with the IR on (with the skin on) I can only assume that the hood is the problem until I can remove it and test again.

tex73
Tutor
Tutor

@BansheeRider FYI, you have the Wasserstein knockoffs, not the official Netgear version (VMA4200B) that this threat is about.

BansheeRider
Apprentice
Apprentice

tex73 wrote:

@BansheeRider FYI, you have the Wasserstein knockoffs, not the official Netgear version (VMA4200B) that this threat is about.

Same thing if not better FYI

tex73
Tutor
Tutor

@BansheeRider - I'm trying to decide which to get. Why is the Wasserstein version possibly better? Just based on price, or..?

jhsonderb
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have used the Netgear skins for about 5 months with no impairment of night vision or depth of field.  

The reviews on Amazon appear related to the WASSERSTEIN knock off skins, the tan color in particular.  Zoom in on the side of the skin and it is embossed with "WASSERSTEIN".  The Netgear OEM skins have "ARLO" on the sides of the skins

I plan on buying more skins and intend to purchase the Netgear skins again despite the additional cost.  

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is it possible for you to take a still image at dusk (so that there is enough available light to see details and not completely dark).

One image with the infrared on and one with it off?

When I did this, the image with the infrared on reflected off the hood and gave me a washed out image.

I would just like to see if yours does the same.

jhsonderb
Aspirant
Aspirant

DaveWoj wrote:

Is it possible for you to take a still image at dusk (so that there is enough available light to see details and not completely dark).

One image with the infrared on and one with it off?

When I did this, the image with the infrared on reflected off the hood and gave me a washed out image.

I would just like to see if yours does the same.

DaveWoj... I have not seen any of the haziing that your posted (with and without IR) images portray on any of my cameras.  Also, I have landscape lighting (small wattage malibu lights) that may be a factor in my circumstances.  FWIW, all of my cameras are set to "Best Video".