Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 45 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
yellowsubmarine
Tutor
Tutor

I saw a review on Amazon that stated, "Don't use these if you rely on the night vision. They are an attractive and malleable silicone skin you slip over the cameras. I really like the look, and since I use my Arlo Pro system outdoors these looked perfect. But after putting them on, I noticed the edges of the black "hood" that extend from the front of the camera just barely catch in the lens' field of view and ever so slightly reflect the IR lights, which at night time brightens the edges of the screen and dims the stuff in the distance. My night time depth of view went from 30+ feet with the IR to maybe 5-10 feet with these hoods on."

If anyone has this skin can you comment if the review is on point?  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary

I've had the skins on two of my outdoor cams for a few weeks now and have not experienced this issue.

View solution in original post

45 REPLIES 45
BansheeRider
Apprentice
Apprentice
I just ordered these last night. Hopefully they do not interfere like you say.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

Good info thank you

BansheeRider
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have a hard time believing that Netgear didn't think about night vision before producing these hoods. Can you post a screen shot of what you see? If you see a little bit of the hood in frame can you trim it back some with a blade? Should be easy enough with silicone.
yellowsubmarine
Tutor
Tutor

It was not my Amazon review so I do not have any pictures.

BansheeRider
Apprentice
Apprentice

yellowsubmarine wrote:

It was not my Amazon review so I do not have any pictures.

My bad I didn't realize your whole post was quoting the Amazon reviewer. Mine should be delivered by this Friday so we shall see. I basically bought them to keep water off the lens when it rains.

jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary

I've had the skins on two of my outdoor cams for a few weeks now and have not experienced this issue.

BansheeRider
Apprentice
Apprentice

jcwrks wrote:

Good to hear, thanks!

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

Good to know thanks

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Good to know, I am planning on getting these after tonight. We have a rain/snow/ice storm right now and my one camera is completely coated in water or dew and I can't see through it. Maybe the skins would help protect the lens.
BansheeRider
Apprentice
Apprentice

manofice wrote:
Good to know, I am planning on getting these after tonight. We have a rain/snow/ice storm right now and my one camera is completely coated in water or dew and I can't see through it. Maybe the skins would help protect the lens.

I was thinking about using a thin coat of rain-x on the lens. 

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
BansheeRider, if you do, let me know how that works!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The skins should not interfere with any of the normal functions of the camera. If you are experiencing a problem when using the skins like the original post describes, please let me know.

JamesC

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Where are u guys buying the skins .I do not see them in Stock at Amazon or best buy
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I see a new review on amazon for these that also says the field of view during night time is obstructed.

AUTX
Star
Star

i got mine from Frys Electronics (3 for $24).  There is a local store, so i didnt have to pay for shipping.

AUTX
Star
Star

I've had the covers on my cameras for a couple of weeks and have no issues with obstructed views at night or day.  If they are obstructing your views you may want to make sure they are on correctly. 

2017-01-04_10-53-32.jpg

AUTX
Star
Star

I used plastidip to paint the base for my tree mount, it blends with the hood and is practically invisible now.

IMG_7855.JPGIMG_7856.JPG

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

AUTX, Does the skin help with water on the lens during night time? When I get mist/rain on the lens at night, you can't see through it, I'm hoping maybe the skin would help prevent this.

AUTX
Star
Star

I am having an issue with the hoods - seems that spiders love them!  I have two cameras outside and both are plagued with webs.  i have to go out every couple of days with a broom to clear the webbing.

2017-01-04_11-22-25.jpg

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm waiting for all your photos to be approved still, but that's funny, lol. I have noticed one on my porch had a web going on or around it. It's a popular spider hide out on my porch anyways though, lol...some big scarey ones...but i leave them be to kill other bugs, LOL.

AUTX
Star
Star

YES!  Weather is one reason i purchased the covers.  We have had some rain storms with lots of wind/rain and my lenses are always clear.  One of my cameras is slightly covered by the roof so i cant say with 100% confidence its due to the cover but the camera in my tree is always clear as well.  

BansheeRider
Apprentice
Apprentice

My skins will be delivered today!

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I got the Skins yesterday and it snowed last night and my lenses stayed nice and clean
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Johnny290: Did you buy the netgear ones or the knock off's? Also, what were your results before the skins, would the lens get water on it and make it hard to see through?