Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Several Cameras Won't Connect

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
MikeKnauer
Guide
Guide

First off, let me say that I've owned 5 ARLO (non-pro) cameras for almost a year and had NO issues.  Because everything has been going well, I decided to upgrade my system to 5 ARLO PRO cameras in December 2016.

I purchased the following from AMAZON.com:

1 ARLO PRO Base Station with 3 Camera bundle

2 Individual Add-On PRO cameras (for 5 total) and I'm using the free "BASIC" 5 camera plan.

Issues Upon Setup of PRO system:

• I removed all my old cameras and base station from my account first.  
  • The new PRO base station setup worked fine.
  • Several of the new PRO cameras would not connect the first time, but after trying to sync them several times, I finally got 4 of them sync'd and firmware upgraded.
  • The 5th camera sync'd eventually but would not hold a connection for more than 5 minutes to the base station no matter how close it was.  I could take the battery out and it would re-connect but would lose connection every time.

After hours of trying different things (including replacing the battery from one of the working cameras), I decided it would be best to RETURN the camera to Amazon and exchange it for another Add-On camera.

In the meantime, I re-connected one of my old NON-PRO cameras to the new PRO base station without issue so I would have a 5th camera for home security.

AMAZON sent me a replacement ARLO PRO Add-On camera the next day.

More Issues with the Replacement Add-On PRO Camera:

New camera arrived and will not connect no matter what I do.  First I removed my non-pro camera from the system so now I had a total of 4 cameras again.  Then tried sync'ing the new replacement PRO camera and it will not connect to the base station no matter what.  The lights just blink on both base station and new camera as if they are trying to sync but eventually it times out and the camera blinks ORANGE to indicate syncing was not successful.  I've tried rebooting the base station, taking battery out of the camera, also trying a battery from a good camera and it still will not connect.  I also tried re-connecting the original 5th PRO camera I was having trouble with (Since I hadn't returned it to Amazon yet) and it will not connect now either (remember it was connecting but not holding that connection for more than 5 minutes).  The only thing I haven't tried is removing all cameras a re-connecting them all.  I'm afraid to do this because it took me hours to get the 4 PRO cameras connected and all my MODES configured. I'm glad I haven't sold my old non-pro cameras yet because I'd be dead in the water for security with all the issues I've had with these PRO cameras.

In Summary:

• 1 out of 5 of my PRO cameras would sync but not hold a connection for more than 5 minutes (no matter how close it was).
  • A replacement PRO camera arrived and it will not connect to the base station at all
  • So 2 PRO cameras so far seem to be defective.
  • I CAN get a 5th camera to sync to my base station (one of my old-non-pro cameras).  So I don't think the problem is the base station.

Questions:

Is there a recall on PRO cameras?

Is there a bad batch of PRO cameras that are being sold on Amazon?

Has anyone else had issues like this?

My only option now is to return this replacement camera for another replacement camera and cross my fingers it works.  My gut tells me that maybe there is nothing wrong with these cameras physically.  But could it be that since I originally had 5 non-pro cameras associated with my account - and removed them, and now several new PRO cameras setup, that maybe in the mystical CLOUD, ARLO software thinks I had more than 5 cameras somehow and it won't let me connect this 5th PRO camera.  Like I have a Maximum # of cameras for my BASIC plan even though I don't when I try to connect a 5th PRO camera.  But then, it allows me to connect a 5th non-pro camera no problem so maybe that theory is debunked.

Any help would be appreciated. Or similar stories if you have them and any solutions that worked.  I'm about to return my second replacement camera for a 3rd camera at this point because I'm tired of spending hours/days working on resolving this issue.

Thanks,

Mike

17 REPLIES 17
Polobuds
Guide
Guide

Just experienced same issue. Bought the 2 camera system with base station. Was able to sync one camera up but couldn't get the 2nd camera to sync. Tried swapping batteries, reseting base station, start sync process all over and still nothing worked. Read on other threads that this was happening to others as well earlier this year. Bought my cameras from Amazon so will try to get one camera exchanged. 

sinksks
Initiate
Initiate

I can not get my new Arlo Q to connect with my arlo base system.  When trying to sync the appear to be connecting but time out. Any suggestions? I have 4 original arlo's with the an original arlo base. I was told the arlo pro will work.

sinksks
Initiate
Initiate

I figured it out. You do not use your Arlo base statin with this camera. You go through your home router. Use your smart phone to add camera. One thing that struggled with is that my cell phone was using a different wifi than my home computer so I couldn't get the camera to connect. Compare your IP settings in your phone to those im your computer. Once I got my phone on the same network it hooked up quickly. Great picture on this camera!

MikeKnauer
Guide
Guide

This doesn't make any sense.  I'm not sure you are using the same cameras, are you using ARLO PRO and a ARLO PRO base station?  You can't set these cameras up using your phone.  The app has an "Add Camera" feature but it's only written "INSTRUCTIONS" on how to do it.  These cameras have NO configurable interface to troubleshoot any issues or change any settings like IP address or even allow it to connect to a ROUTER directly instead of the BASE STATION.  They must be connected to the base station and the only way to do this is to use the "SYNC" buttons on both the camera and the base station.  That's it.  So I don't know what you mean by saying "Compare IP settings in your phone to those in your computer".  This has nothing to do with this camera setup.

MikeKnauer
Guide
Guide

Sorry, this thread is about ARLO PRO cameras, not ARLO Q.  I don't know anything about the Q cameras except that they are indoor.  Sounds like you are having a similar issue, but it sounds like you are talking about a different products of Netgear.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MikeKnauer,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC

MikeKnauer
Guide
Guide

Update on my issue:

Third time is a charm...

As described in my original post, I had problems with 2 ARLO PRO cameras not connecting to the ARLO PRO Base Station.  I received yet a THIRD Arlo Pro camera yesterday, opened the box, clicked the sync button on base station and the camera and voila... it connected on the first try.

So this issue was CLEARLY defective hardware.  2 out of 7 total Arlo Pro cameras were defective and would not connect.  I returned them to Amazon and they sent me replacements NEXT DAY.  It beats waiting days for a Netgear RMA and replacement cameras.

I'm sorry but for a company that does so much business, this is unacceptable especially for the price tag on this system.  The original Arlo (non-pro) cameras were much more stable.  I used 5 of them for almost a year and only had one issue (one of the cameras picture turned all PINK color after a while.  That camera was replaced but everything else worked ok.

Now I'm having a really hard time with the arlo software which has at least 20 obvious bugs.  As a software developer, I feel that Netgear QA team needs some help.  There are tons of bugs on the iOS Arlo app and on the website for viewing cameras.  The issues are mostly surrounding setting up "Modes".  But hopefully they will remedy these issues in the near future.

After all the issues I've had with ARLO Pro cameras, I don't think I will be investing any more money in Netgear products any time soon.  And I'll cross my fingers that these cameras keep running ok.  I rely on these cameras, the software, and cloud service for home security.  But I don't have much faith that I will be protected.

LaughinGass
Initiate
Initiate

I've had the exact same issue. 1 of the 4 cameras in the Arlo Pro bundle which I purchased yesterday is a HW fail. Swapped out batteries, confirmed full charge so not a battery issue. Reset base station, etc. After wrestling with the faulty camera for a couple hours (!) last night I was able to get it to connect twice and it would fail after about 2 minutes. The only way I could get it to connect in the first place was to open the back of the camera case, and really push on the battery to get it to activate/sync.

I'm giving this system 1 more change (buying another set from Best Buy and returning the previous faulty one - I'm not going through the pain of back and forth & more time spent with Netgear customer service). If it fails again with my second attempt, I'm out.

MikeKnauer
Guide
Guide

LaughinGass, I hear you buddy.  This IS a HARDWARE issue.  But I will say the ARLO software on the iOS app and even the website is the buggiest most unreliable interface I've ever used.  I had the first gen arlo cameras before and it was never as buggy as it is now.  I think since the introduction of the PRO cameras (and now they have the ARLO GO! and ARLO Baby cams that were just introduced) has caused all these bugs in their software.  They are pumping out new cams & base stations faster than the software can keep up with them.  

Obviously there is a lack of Quality Assurance in both hardware and software.  Software is something they CAN fix and I hope they improve on it soon.  I never like to just rant or bash a company or nit-pick on every little thing, but I spent a lot of money on these things and expect much less headaches.  Especially because I've been using IP Cameras for 15+ years and never had any issue like these before ARLO cams.

Don't get me wrong, the idea of having a totally wireless/weather proof security system is awesome.  I think the idea of these cams (and when they actually WORK), is amazing.  I just think they are lacking in the quality control department and pushing stuff out the door waaaay to fast without testing it and ensuring quality and as close to BUG-free as possible.

Polobuds
Guide
Guide

LaughinGass,

Sorry to hear your troubles. We are not alone. This seems to be a persistent problem, at least with the new wire-free cameras. Hopefully, yours will sync after you swap out the old camera for a new one. I agree, I wouldn't want to go back and forth as well. I want these cameras to work, but it would be very frustrating and disappointing if they didnt. Good luck

Polobuds
Guide
Guide

Mike, I completely agree, this is a quality assurance/control issue. Netgear should not be letting this many cameras out into the market without enough beta testing. While this is my first netgear product, my experience alone isn't enough to bash and boycott Netgear. I am just frustrated that something new out of the box does not work as advertised. Fortunately for me, I've resolved my issue with a new camera. I'm not so sure others are as fortunate. Hopefully, Netgear is taking notice and will better test their products (i.e. the baby camera) before releasing. I can understand if a few are not working but according to this forum, it appears this is a common enough issue. Let's hope for our sakes Netgear can troubleshoot this issue. So far these are great cameras when they work, and it's doing everything I expect it to do. Now, let's just see how long the battery lasts! 

Slono
Guide
Guide

I am having this very same problem with one of my cameras.  Another one experiences ghosting at the beginning of 50% of its motion activated recordings.  I'm sad to say that this is already the second batch of defective cameras I now have, as the first was returned to best buy in exchange for these ones.  My wife is fed up with me trying to get these things to work when they cost me $900 CAN (tax included) for the 4-pack.  Should I return these to best buy or try to get Netgear to send me non-faulty ones?  Does Netgear test the units they send, or are they just sending new units that I could just get from best buy?

I've now spent a several days trying to get these gadgets to work, as well as making holes in the brick exterior of my home to mount these outdoors.  I really REALLY don't want to have to return everything for good because it was enough work to make me annoyed.

Any suggestions and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

DFour2016
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought a 4 pack of Arlo Pro cameras and base station.  First 3 cameras sync and are working well.  Fourth camera will ocassionally sync after 4 or 5 tries.  Syncs for a couple minutes but then goes off line.  Like many of the other post I have tried different tactics to get it to work with no luck.  I have sent a note to Netgear indicating a defective camera and requested how to obtain a replacement.  No reply from Netgear.  I like the 3 cameras that are working but customer support is terrible for Arlo / Netgear. 

Polobuds
Guide
Guide

DFour,

I wouldn't expect much of a response from Netgear. I don't think they will be replacing your camera, otherwise, they would be replacing a lot of cameras for others who are experiencing similar issues. I was successful in getting a new camera from Amazon (they shipped out a new order and I just took one camera for the package since I had only one camera not sycning. I am about to return the Amazon order with the faulty camera. Amazon did this no questions asked). 

Ever since then, I have had both cameras synced up and working fine. Once they are working, I am quite happy with the performance. The video quality is good, and the battery life has so far been good. I have it on the setting with good battery life and decent video quality. The app works great and I can check the cameras whenever I want. The motion sensor is pretty good when set at 100%. Only thing that sucks is when it's time to charge the battery, I have to pull camera off mount which means I am down a camera for a couple of hours. Sure, an extra battery and charger would solve that, but I hate having to buy another accessory,  but that's where Netgear gets you! 

My recommendation is try contacting the vendor you bought the cameras from. Maybe they can send a replacement. I know people have been returning them to Best Buy, so hopefully you bought them from a brick & mortar like Best Buy or from Amazon.

robododge
Aspirant
Aspirant

Problem Solution: Peformed the "reset process" on the troubled camea itself.  

Details:

I have a 3-camea Arlo Pro system that I got from Amazon one week ago.  Just like everyone else here, one of the cameras was not connecting, the abmer color light just blinks.  Sometimes, I was able to get the camera's status light to blink blue for a short while if I opened up the battery and removed/replaced.    After reading this thread, I decided to contact Amazon to see about a replacement.   I went to through the process of an on-line chat with an Amazon troubleshooting rep.  Nikolaus, at Amazon, responeded to my chat and told me to reset the camera by going through the "reset sequence".  Of course I was wondering, WHAT RESET SEQUENCE?  Appearently you have to open up the battery comparment and leave it open for a while, do not remove the battery.  Do this while camea is not connected (of course your camera should be in the not connected state if you're reading this).  Wait about 20 seconds with the compartment door open.  After closing the door, you should see the blue indicator light blink, mine started blinking slowly for about 5 seconds, then it did a quick succession of blinks.   After that, I went over to the base stataion and proceeded with the standard conneciton process.  The camera is connected and I have been able to play live video on it for 30 minutes now.

Reference Information:

I asked Nikolaus how he knew about this reset sequence, he said he just ran across it while searching these same Netgear community forums.  The forum post Nikolaus gave me was for a Arlo Go reset.  The only diffrence is, Nikolaus had learned you have to keep the battery door open for 20 seconds on Arlo Pro to be sure.  Nikolaus also said, he gets tons of troublesooting requests for this same issue and 99% of the time, this trick fixes it.

Mkcl
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi,
I could not connect my cameras following instructions that came with the box and on the app (like some of you).
I repeated the procedure with the base station disconnected from the internet and found that my cameras could connect (quick blinking blue lights). I next followed the ‘normal’ procedure of connecting with internet connected to base station and everything worked ok.
pbott
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Guys,

The same happened to me. I`m also believe it`s a SW issue that must be fixed asap.

Unfortunatelly, it can`t be replaced. I bought my cameras in US and live in Brazil...

Regards

Pedro