Arlo Pro Reliance on internet/cloud, local storage (backup) review

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Sc0rPs
Guide
Guide

I have reviewed, and purchased the Arlo Pro and Arlo Q products hearing they now offer local storage. A real security system has security in mind never depending on a single service to function, and unfortunately this one has some serious flaws I hope to see corrected.

Namely the reliance on the internet & cloud in order to work, these are some rather large flaws on a pretty 'neat' system. When people want any type of security they need to think in a worse case scenario how will my security system pull through for me and my loved ones?

The way the system works it does not even get to worse case, it is almost nullified as soon as your internet goes out. It should have a few ways to offer monitoring/viewing without internet, in fact, the first way it should work is a self contained fully functioning service without the need of another service (Internet)... and then another service offered through the first (cloud).

Power back up can be easily handled with UPS systems, solar attached to the cameras, etc. Things you are able to do to make sure your security isn't compromised in a crunch. The rechargeables on the cameras is a plus, I hope you do change the lithium chemistry to advance LSD NiMH. Lithium degrades from the moment it is made, I have been using the same low self discharge NiMH batteries for all my devices for about 8+ years and yet to have one suffer memory loss or fail (decent real battery charger helps significantly).

They did make some improvements with local storage, but that's nothing more than a back up... and when you can't access the cloud you'll need to UNsafely pull the USB drive out and see what camera caught what... not sure if will continue as a back up if you re-insert it after?

Do not be offended when I say this is a great idea but as it functions right now not much more than a novelty item, another gadget, and certainly not to be relied upon for your personal security. I'm not sure of how much of the cloud is actually secure, and not being used as marketing exploit. Cloud services should only ever be an option and then be just a back up. Basically flip what your local storage drive does to what the cloud does!

When Netgear comes out with 1080p Arlo Plus Plus, with completely self contained & encrypted features I'll take a look... if a competitor hasn't already beat them to it.

1 REPLY 1
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sc0rPs,

At this time, Arlo requires an internet connection to fully utilize it's features.

While I do not have any information on whether or not this will change in the future, there are some discussions on the idea exchange about more offline functionality. I encourage you to visit these discussions and offer your support by adding kudos.

Thank you for your contribution,

JamesC