Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Nightvision Issue

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Arlo8000
Tutor
Tutor

I have discovered a bug with the Aro Pro cameras regarding nightvision. On random nights the cameras will become overexposed from their own infrared LEDs. The resulting video is unusable and a blimp could be parked in front of the camera and you wouldn't notice. If you turn off the nightvision the camera blurry video clears up, but the image is obviously very dark. If you power cycle the camera (take battery out and put back in) the exact same camera with nightvision and identical setting minutes latter is completely clear. This without a doubt indicates a software/firmware bug. I have a mix of cameras at different locations and lighting. At the moment only the Pro cameras have issues and the Pro 2 seems fine. This needs to be addressed ASAP since the resulting image is not usable in any way for security.

10 REPLIES 10
allnicksgone
Guide
Guide
Do you happen to have a skin on it? The hood on skins are known to mess with the night vision, resulting in foggy images.
Arlo8000
Tutor
Tutor

No skin, they are all new cameras, less than 2 months old.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Make sure the IR illuminators are not reflecting off light colored walls or glass on the sides ( can wash out pic )

A screen shot may help

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Arlo8000
Tutor
Tutor

I have uploaded the photos at time of post, it’s in my first comment. Can't be reflection since the problem is with two cameras at different locations. One has no walls around it and one has the side of the roof. They also generally do it at alternating times. For example, last night the camera used in the snapshots did not go blurry, but a completely different camera did; the previous night it was the opposite. There is no water in the cameras and while the Arlo Pro 2 isn't doing it, it is the only camera not exposed to the weather; however, these cameras are rated for rain. Either way, these cameras seem as if they are not able to perform as advertised and when they work it is a good system.

Arlo8000
Tutor
Tutor

I have added a second image from a different Arlo Pro camera at a completely different location. In this case you can see the issue is with the night vision. Once the car passes the camera and the lighting drops, the camera first goes completely white and then adjusts to this grey image. The image gets worse at times and the footage is completely useless.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The autoexposure of the camera between brightly and dimly lit will cause this. It's not instantaneous.

Arlo8000
Tutor
Tutor

I work with secuirty and understand its limitations. The problem is the camera exposure is way off and the image becomes washed out. You can't see in the second image but shortly after the car passes the image slowly becomes more grey until the image is useless. Why has Netgear not responeded to this post. If I cannot get a solution I will have to return the system (which is otherwise good) and turn to Swann or Samsung.

allnicksgone
Guide
Guide
I don't believe this community forum post is the best way to communicate directly with Netgear.

You may want to look in the support area.
https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx
Arlo8000
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for your support. I will try contacting Netgear again today, yesterday the chat system spent over an hour to not connect me multiple times 😕

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Arlo8000 wrote:

I work with secuirty and understand its limitations. The problem is the camera exposure is way off and the image becomes washed out. You can't see in the second image but shortly after the car passes the image slowly becomes more grey until the image is useless. Why has Netgear not responeded to this post. If I cannot get a solution I will have to return the system (which is otherwise good) and turn to Swann or Samsung.

It's not a security issue, it's a camera one with autoexposure. Same thing with digital cameras of virtually any type as well as cell phones.  Link a video here so we can see exactly what you're seeing/saying so we're all on the same page.