Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
arlobro
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi,

Having an issue with Nightvision.

During the day, live view works just fine.

During the night, when using live view, it works fine..but after shutting down the live view - I get about 4 or 5 alerts in a row right after using live view that motion was detected (and it records for 20 seconds each -as I have it set to do)

Tested by turning Nightvision off, live view works, and when closed, no motion detected.

It seems like the camera is detecting its own Nightvision light as motion for some reason.. Bug? anyone else have this issue?

I have the latest base and camera firmware installed.

Thanks.
197 REPLIES 197
arlobro
Apprentice
Apprentice

In regards to your first post, I was exchanging messages with support for over a month before I was offered RMA. I pushed twice for RMA before finally getting it.

So many factors here: I also purchased my set of 4 from Best Buy, and 2 are doing this. Could it be just a bad best buy batch? Could it be having a 4 camera system active? For me, it was the first two cameras that I synced to the base that exihibt this behavior. Is it always the first 2? How about you?

All 4 of mine are outside in the cold, even through the very cold days during the arctic blast.  2 of them never do this, even on the coldest of days. I tested that.

foxfly wrote:

Another data point. I brought one of my cameras from backyard (40F) inside last night and put it in the closet to simulate dark environment at room temperature (75F). For the first a few hours, it kepted sending alerts after live view, but after a while it worked well. This suggest the camera is not able to distinguish temperature change of environment and temperature change caused by an object. 

This is interesting, I never tried this.  Maybe it is a defect in the camera and the IR NightVision lights emit some heat, and depending on the angle of the camera (the two that do this are pointing downward) -- could be the PIR be picking up left over heat from the IR until it cools and normalizes after  2-3 minutes after being activated on cold nights?

I will find out soon enough if it's hardware with the new cameras coming soon. 

Perhaps some camera PIR sensors may be have been slightly off/misaligned during manufacture, and these cameras are picking up IR heat after NightVision turns off (however slight it may be -- if its quarter of an inch away, it must emit some amount of heat/warmth that may be being detected as motion to the camera until it cools off below the threshold)

This is all speculative.

My RMA cameras are going back to the engineers to have a look at, they will figure it out I hope.

foxfly
Guide
Guide

arlobro, I don't quite remember if it's always the first 2, as I activated all of them and then randomly picked two for outside...

hopefully they have tested the 2 replacement cameras before shipping to you instead of just randomly grabing 2 new units which could have a good chance of one camera being bad again based on our limited sample size.

I also thought of the posibility of a bad Best Buy batch, as it already happened twice to me and others. I'm thinking to have my set replaced one more time from a different Best Buy store. A-few-month turnaround time seems a little too long to me. I might just return it if my 2nd replacement set still misbehaves.  

arlobro
Apprentice
Apprentice

-UPDATE-

My Original 4 camera system consists of:

1. Front Door - hardware revision H7
2. Driveway - hardware revision H7
3. Deck - hardware revision H7
4. Basement Door - hardware revision H7

RMA issued for camera #1, #3 (two of my original cameras are giving the false motion detects right after live view or an actual motion trigger - at night only, w/NightVision On)

Two new RMA cameras:

Renamed #1 Front Door *Original*
Added RMA camera #5 Front Door *New* - hardware revision H8 <-

Renamed #3 Deck *Original*
Added RMA camera as #6 Deck *New* - hardware revision H8 <-

Of the two new RMA cameras:

Front Door *New*: no longer has NightVision/false detect issue (good) but has a new issue.
Deck *New*: still has original issue, and also introduced a new issue - which made me check all of my original cams, and the new cams for this new issue more closely.

It seems we have 2 possible issues at play here,

#1 False motion events/recordings occur directly after at least 30 seconds of live view at night (NightVision must be on) - or any actual TRUE motion trigger that triggers the PIR during the night, with NightVision on.

(cameras function normally during day - NightVision is off by internal sensor)

and..

#2 A ticking sound during recording.  Sounds like a clock ticking, 1st tick slightly longer or higher in pitch, then 7 shorter ticks, almost like a beat/rythem during the recording (1-,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,-,1-,2,3,4,5,6,7,8)

Outside ambient temp MUST be below 40 degrees for false motion issue to occur. Possibly detecting it's own NightVision IR heat as motion?

Tested this by: Bringing effected cameras inside and put them in a closet, it triggers false motion detects via live view until they warmed up to room temp. Once warm false motion detects didn't occur -- but ticking sound still present on cams that have this issue.
-Verified by user foxfly

I evaluated all of my original cameras in regards to these 2 possible issues:

Front Door:  No Ticking sound can be heard, but still exibits the false motion recording issue (bad)
Driveway: No Issues.  Extreamly faint ticking sound is there, but hard to hear -- No false motion detects after live view or an actual motion trigger occurs (good)
Deck: Slight/Faint ticking sound, and exhibits false motion recording issue (bad)
Basement Door: No Major Issues. No ticking, No false motion detects after live view or actual motion trigger (great)++

Never noticed the ticking sound until paying much closer attention.

RMA New Cams:

Front Door *New*:  Very slight/faint ticking sound, but does not have false motion detects after live view or actual motion trigger (acceptable-for now)
Deck *New*: Has louder very noticable ticking sound during recordings, triggers multiple false motion detects when ambient temp is below 40 degrees F. (bad)

I'm not sure if these two issues (ticking/false motion events) plus ambient tempreture are the key to solving this . Cams can have either one of the two issues, or none -- since have one cam that does not have either issue. May not be related, but could be a factor.

I am going to keep one of the new replacement cams, "Front Door *New*".
I'll trade having no false motion triggers for a slight/faint ticking sound for now, but the other new RMA cam has both of these issues badly, so it's going back instead of my original.

Eventually, I'd like 4 perfect cams that do not make a ticking sound, and do not trigger false motion events. I only have *1* so far that does not have either of these issues to some degree.

I do not know what the difference between Hardware revision H7 and H8 is, I doubt it's any better because one of the H8 cams has the two issues.

During the RMA process I specifically asked for no refurbished units -- these appeared to be brand new, but it came from the factory so I'd assume they could factory reseal it if they wanted to. I just didn't want someone elses return.

Not looking good that I found all these issues from 2 "brand" new units, I bet more people have these issues if they pay closer attention.

So after all that, only one cam is "semi" better.

To those that got replacement cams for this issue,

Turn the microphone on, and run a live view.  Listen very closely for the ticking sound (use headphones) Regular background noise is OK, but you can't miss the ticking clock sound if it's present.
If you hear a ticking sound, check to make sure you don't have the false alerts if < 40 degree F.

MarkH123
Apprentice
Apprentice
10:26pm
Update on add-on Arlo Pro..
I replaced the Arlo pro add-on cam today at my local Best Buy store..(I did not go thur Netgear--thats why I buy local so if there are any issues I can go directly to local store and KNOW I'm getting a NEW DEVICE NOT A REFURB) I did go to a different location to make sure I was getting a cam from a different batch of cams to rule out Bad batch theory--
-So far so good-NO MORE FALSE detection at night when motion is on after viewing live or when motion is on and walking by New cam..I tested both scenarios twice and cam is mounted in the exact same place as the first add-on Arlo pro..I am not having any issue with sound/audio as some have claim..NO ticking--
FYI: the add-on Arlo pro cam is added to my original 5 set Arlo cameras, I deleted One of of my existing original Arlo cams and added the Arlo pro so I could test before replacing anymore of my existing original Arlos and also to keep my free 7day cloud recording..
-Hardware version on all 4 original Arlos and Add-on Arlo pro is H7, of course the firmware version is different on 4 original arlos compared to add-on arlo pro..
-4 original arlo cams Firmware:1.2.10342
-1 Add-on Arlo pro Firmware:1.090.0.0_9945
-In closing I will say I don't think it has to do with outside/inside temperature,I live in Texas and I was having this issue even when it was 60 to 70 degrees outside at night..I'm pointing more towards Hardware defect or over sensitivity motion sensor which may or may not be fixed with a firmware update..obviously its an issue but not with all Arlo pro cams whether its a add-on cam or a set with base station..
arlobro
Apprentice
Apprentice

I agree local store is good for this, I still have time ...Since I picked it up when extended returns had already started (till January 15) and I have Best Buy Elite so I can return it up into this coming Feb. Just didn't feel like removing all the stuff (I have one mounted up high) and waiting the xmas lines,figured I would let netgear try and make right.

Interesting these are hardware version H8.  Does anybody else have H8 HW Version?  I wonder if this means it was refurb or return recertified? Now I got someone elses ticking problem?

JamesC? Any idea what HW Version H8 is..?

foxfly
Guide
Guide

Interesting.. so there is indeed one bad replacement camera as I expected, which reflects the failure rate of 50% according to our very limited sample size as I pointed out earlier. This means there is only a 6.25% chance one could get a 4 good camera set, or one would have to replace the set for 15 times to ensure a good one.

All of my cameras have a ticking sound when live viewing - about 20 beats in 10 seconds. All the tests we have done are supposed to be done in the lab long time ago in the reliability/over stress test. A lot of companies nowadays just rely on customers to report problems and fix it. But if there is a hardware design issue, like Samsung Note 7, there would be no easy fix.

That said, I still feel this is a heat diffusion related issue which can be addressed in algorithm, although it could also occur at higher temperature as MarkH123 pointed out and implied by my "closet" test. Again, figuring out the heat diffusion pattern after live view/motion detected and exclude it from the algorithm might be worth a try.

arlobro
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unfortunately the other new camera that I thought originally did not have the issue indeed does have the issue, just not as bad as the rest.

Only 1 video clip/trigger follows live view, once in a while.  The ticking sound is fainter on this camera, and at a slower pace.

The best camera I have has no ticking and never a false motion trigger -- the ticking is NOT related to wifi or range from base/interference, I brought them inside  and at same distance from base both had the same frequency or beat/pace as they had when they were in their original locations.. one faster and louder then the other. it's unique to each camera.

Could be some unshielded component that is making some electronic noise that the sensitive microphone can pick up... The mic is super sensitive in these cams..

Wkendcwby
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just purchased pro system. Really like it.......till one of my camera nite vision stopped working. I have tried to chat with support they are attempting to log on and confirm. I will be after that guess open a ticket or claim. Wish me luck
Barry2016
Guide
Guide

I just got a three camera pro unit and I am also having the same issue. I started a ticked Friday Night. I have 1 camera that I have to leave the night vision off because of the constant movement detection. If this doesnt get resolved quickly, I'll be returning my system.

SteveWhite
Apprentice
Apprentice

Apologies for double-posting. I had posted my experience in another thread but see this one has received attention from Netgear staff. 

Add me to the list. I have 5 cameras and 2 base stations. One of the cameras is doing exactly this.  If I turn off night vision it behaves like the rest. I have tried the cam connected to either base station without success. Turning off night vision is the only fix. 

Very frustratinf aince this this is one of the most used locations. Since the cameras are only a week old be exchanging one tomorrow. 

DavidTexas
Tutor
Tutor
I swapped out the bad camera. No more problem. It is definitely a hardware issue.

If you purchased recently, I recommend you exchange it for another. Much faster than phone calls and rma.

It took me three tries to get a working set.
arlobro
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sorry haven't replied in a while, been busy with holidays, etc.

Well, so far Netgear has sent me 4 replacement cameras to try to fix 2 bad (original) cameras.

The result..

I still have one bad camera and one that only gets 1 false motion alert occasionally (either right after a true motion event, or live view), but this replacement camera has now given me the gift of ticking sound with it.  I figure the ticking is better for the time being/battery life then the 7-9 false motions the original would get.

Netgear is trying, unfortunately every one of the 4 they sent has some issue.  They claim they are brand new, but looking at the magnetic mounts i see scratches all over them like they were previously used (I never used my magnetic mounts and they are all pristine, even a brand new one I got for xmas) They are all hardware version H8. I was told this was the latest hardware version but I have a suspicion that it means certified refurbished or something.

So it seems netgear may be just taking back all the returns and not really fully testing them and sending them out as RMA.

You'd think out of 4 replacement cameras I'd get at least one good one?

Just FYI -- I received a 5th camera as a gift for xmas (from Amazon) hardware version H7..  Put it in the same spot as the problem cams,   NOT ONE ISSUE.  No ticking (quiet as a mouse), and no false motion alerts.

I do feel like I am getting a slight run around with cameras being sent to me represented as 'brand new'   So far I've invested over 5 hours of my time testing and swapping cameras / printing return labels, etc --  and actually testing for ticking and motion issues -- when a brand new one from Amazon just worked out of the box. 

Not sure what's going on in the warehouse - or they have some serious hardware flaw in all of these H8 cameras

All I want is 2 working good cams. Not someones return.

foxfly
Guide
Guide

arlo pro, for H7 and H8 (or good and bad cameras), could you please check where those are made?

greenweenie
Star
Star

Problem with night vision - Pan and zoom snapshot is clear - Live and live snapshot is dark on all Pro Camera's

Screenshot (112).png

Live and or snapshot in live is dark

LIVE screenshot

Screenshot (113).png

Live SNAPSHOT

Screenshot (114).png

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Ok, I just confirmed I have the same issue on one of mine. It works fine until night vision kicks in, then you live view it and then close the app and I get four motion alerts with video clips. Damnit...
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

manofice,

I will reach out to you in a private message to collect more information on this topic.

JamesC

greenweenie
Star
Star

I kinda figured it out. In settings / (video settings) I can't have any camera zoom in set or night vision video will not work. I reset all 4 cameras (no zoom) and all now have perfect night vision. Now my problem is they "see" all the blowing trees, flag on pole, etc and keep firing and if I lower the sensitivity to eliminate that,  a car pulls in my driveway / or someone walks up my sidewalk and no alerts. I guess it's a Catch 22 - I had them zoomed and panned to get under the tree line etc. Sure would be nice to have both.... Zoom and night vision

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Not sure why zoom and pan would help since it has nothing to do with the PIR motion detectlkrs. Not doubting you, just not sure what to say.
greenweenie
Star
Star

Quite honestly I got the idea from someone who had the same problem with black night vision video on another post. They reset to no zoom and solved their problem so I tried it and it worked. Sounds like a software issue of sorts. Once I go back to even the slightest zoom night vision video is unrecognizably black.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I think GreenWeenie had a different issue from this topic jfuerdat.
greenweenie
Star
Star

Ok.... I tried something else (at least in one camera). Cleared zoom, turned off camera and pulled battery, reinserted battery, it now seems to be holding night vision with and without zoom. I tried several different zooms and it's working. Who knows what the quirk was but I'll take my fix. I'll give it a full day / night cycle and see if it sticks. - Thanks for listening to myself talk  

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
On the original issue reported... I swapped my camera at the store and my issue is now resolved with the new camera... so far, lol.
For me, the multiple motion alerts and clips after live viewing while night vision was enabled and motion detection was enabled was constant. Outside temp made zero difference, it was doing it when it was 58 or 20 degrees outside. I did notice a few times when this happened I would see a flash of light in the beginning of the clip or even the whole clip being dark as if the IR wasn't enabled, but most of the time.. the clips were just normal clips with no motion. This has to be a hardware fault with the IR system somehow.
greenweenie
Star
Star

Set zoom on one camera last night and this morning (pre-dawn) live video was black again. Reset pan & zoom to zero and it's back to good.

chuck159
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't think anyone has mentioned this and I may stand corrected but has anyone tried Changing the Sensitivity of the cameras causing the problems? 

foxfly
Guide
Guide

chuck159, I did change the sensitivity even down to 2%, but didn't help. It also doesn't have anything to do with low temperature, as it had the same issue after I brought it back to my closet. My initial thought about low-temperature background was wrong. 

I got my 2nd replacement set of 4 cameras, so far I haven't noticed any issues. If you purchased your units recently, I would strongly suggest you have them replaced.