Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
chaddawe
Tutor
Tutor

Good day,  I have a question about my Arlo pro and its detection.  I have 2 cameras set up at the moment.  One pointed catching motion from the front door area and my driveway and the other pointed to the driveway.  This morning, I was outside taking the cover off my boat and the camera was working normally catching my motion on both cameras.  It was approx 5 am and I have a light that has a motion sensor on it as well

When I went to drive away with the boat hooked up to my truck, both cameras didn't capture anything?

I find it weird that It didn't catch a boat and truck leaving the driveway.

Both cameras sensitivity are at 94 and 100.

What should I do ???

13 REPLIES 13
DoriJC
Luminary
Luminary

It's possible it's due to the delay.  Mine picks me up walking to my car but not the car leaving.  When I return it picks up the car arriving but unless I sit in it for a few seconds, it misses me getting out and walking away.  Works like it should when I don't have one camera trigger another but for me I want the overlap of the cameras to give me a better shot from both directions. I am also more interested in what's arriving rather than what's leaving.

chaddawe
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.  I don't understand the delay you are talking about? 

I also have my cameras triggering each other as you do, but not sure why it would be different if only one camera was triggered.

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I just don't understand the system and its capabilies yet.

Thanks for being patient.

DoriJC
Luminary
Luminary

There usually is a 3 to 5 second delay before the cameras will turn on and start recording after they have been triggered.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

There is also a 5-10 second delay between recordings, meaning when one cameras recording ends it takes 5-10 seconds for it to be able to record again. So if you have your camera set to "record until activity stops", what happens is you walk to your car, camera picks you up and records. You get in the car start it up. Camera now sees no motion, and stops recording. It now takes 5-10 seconds before it can "reset" and start recording again when it sees motion, plus the small 1-3 second delay to start recording once motion is detected. By this time you have pulled away so it doesn't record. Happens to me in my garage. Sometimes I pull out of garage in the time frame where the camera just stopped recording and takes that few seconds to start up again. By the time the camera is ready I'm out of the motion detection zone.

chaddawe
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks guys!!.  I understand what you are talking about now.  So is it best to have them record on their own or trigger the other when one sees motion?

Thx

DPickens
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having trouble with the motion detection too. It seems the cameras will not record at all, in other words, it doesn't appear the cameras are seeing any motion. Another problem is, I have to press LIVE on the computer/mobile device to activate the cameras. Why isn't the cameras ON all the time? Can someone tell me what I've done wrong?

DPickens
Aspirant
Aspirant

another question (should have put it in the other message) why does it go OFFLINE after about 30 minutes. I have it set to Record Until Activity Stops ?

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

chaddawe wrote:

Thanks guys!!.  I understand what you are talking about now.  So is it best to have them record on their own or trigger the other when one sees motion?

Thx

That's probably a personal preference, but I don't see any harm in having one trigger another to record. I don't have an overlapping coverage areas so mine all record on their own motion. If you don't have coverage areas that over lap, then having one camera trigger the another to record probably isn't needed.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

DPickens wrote:

I'm having trouble with the motion detection too. It seems the cameras will not record at all, in other words, it doesn't appear the cameras are seeing any motion. Another problem is, I have to press LIVE on the computer/mobile device to activate the cameras. Why isn't the cameras ON all the time? Can someone tell me what I've done wrong?

The camera only turns on when motion is detected. (battery powered)

Double check that you set your system to ARMED, and do some motion testing.  I'd double check you sensitivity setting as well 

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

DPickens wrote:

Did you edit the armed mode (or if you setup a custom mode) to tell the camera to record when it detects motion. If I remember correctly, the default is to do nothing, you actually have to edit the mode and the camera inside the mode to tell it to record on motion.

The cameras are on all the time unless you turn them off in the Arlo app.

The arlo pro cameras are only capable of recording a 5 minute video clip max. Even if there is still motion, 5 minutes max. This is to keep files smaller and to save the batteries. The live view will time out after 30 minutes to save data and batteries. If you ran them in live view for hours you'd kill the battery quick. These cameras aren't made for 24/7 live viewing or continuous 24/7 recording.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

chaddawe wrote:

Thx

as others mentioned....  try these rules:

-   if Cam A detects, record Cam A

-   if Cam B detects, record Cam B

-   if Cam A detects, record Cam B

-   if Cam B detects, record Cam A

DPickens
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you all.

So it is working correctly. I was hoping I wouldn't have to click LIVE every 30 minutes. Just thinking when it automatically turns off (at night when I'm sleeping), it won't record until I press LIVE again right? 

So there's no way the camera will stay on STAND BY and MOTION starts recording again?

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

DPickens wrote:

Thank you all.

So it is working correctly. I was hoping I wouldn't have to click LIVE every 30 minutes. Just thinking when it automatically turns off (at night when I'm sleeping), it won't record until I press LIVE again right? 

So there's no way the camera will stay on STAND BY and MOTION starts recording again?

The cameras are motion activated, activity based cameras. If you edit your armed mode, then edit your camera in the mode, you can tell the camera what to do when it detects motion. Set yours to record when it detects motion and it will always record when it detects motion, unless your viewing it in live mode, it won't record in live mode unless you press the record button.