Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro - Motion Detection Stuck On

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Crbjr62
Tutor
Tutor

Started noticing last night that after the cameras are tripped with a motion detection, they will record their assigned length video (90 secs), finish the recording, save it to the library, but the yellow motion detection man stays on. After that, it will not pick up any additional motion.

Only way I can get it to reset, is by going in a looking at each camera live view. After that it will turn off. Once I get the next motion, we have to start the process over. Who knows what I have actually missed.

19 REPLIES 19
cof53
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same problem as the OP last week (week of 5/27/2018).

One of my cameras would be triggered by motion, record, but then 'hang' with the motion detect icon lit up in the app (both Android mobile and my laptop). It only occured on one camera and to clear it I had to turn on 'live' view. 

I reset the Arlo base using the PC web app. When the base station came back online the motion detect was clear and working properly.

However, battery life on the 3 cameras I have in use is taking a hit. I'm aware of an issue with infra-red  and cameras that are 'off' but all my cameras are usually 'on' all the time. 

Signal strength may have taken a hit too. One camera normally at 2 bars now bounces between 1 and 2. Another camera that ususally shows 1 or 2 bars is now only occasionally showing 2 bars. The 3rd camera is solid 3 bars but it is only 10 feet from thebase. 

Live view is pausing more with a lag time of sometimes 30 seconds or more. The lag has typically been 5 seconds.

I have had the system since November 2017 and have kept battery usage history since then. So I'm confident I am seeing higher battery usage with no change in activity.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team is currently investigating this issue. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

LUser1526
Guide
Guide

I've owned the Arlo Pro system for less than 2 weeks now and just had the exact same problem occur as OP. I've seen some threads from a year ago talking about the same problem too and that the fix is just to restart the base station. That's fine, but how can I have confidence that it won't get stuck again later and that the system will work properly when I'm not "watching" or monitoring it, ie, I don't want to have to go into the Arlo app every day to check that everything's working fine.

It's been at least a year since the "motion sensor stuck" issue first came up from other users... can NETGEAR please fix this bug so it doesn't have to happen? It seems pretty widespread issue and by the time you realize your motion detector was stuck on, who knows what important events you may have missed.

socalxoashley
Aspirant
Aspirant

i am experiencing the same problem.

is there a fix yet??

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@socalxoashley

What exactly are you experiencing with your cameras? 

socalxoashley
Aspirant
Aspirant
Motion sensor seems to pick up the motion (the icon on the app turns yellow) but do not receive a notification. Once the motion is gone, the yellow motion detection man stays on. After that, it will not pick up any additional motion. The camera only works in a mode that is set up under different camera.... “when camera 1 detects motions, camera 2 records” (canera 2 is the one with the issues with motion detection)

Only way I can get it to reset, is by going in a looking at each camera live view. After that it will turn off. But it goes right back to the same thing all over again.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@socalxoashley,

Have you tried to reboot your base station?

Have you removed & re-syncd the trouble camera and tested again?

harley239
Apprentice
Apprentice

This is still happening all the time

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@harley239

Have you tried any of the following troubleshooting steps above. What steps have you performed previously?

newArloPro_user
Aspirant
Aspirant

My alro pro and pro 2 are experiencing the same issue where the motion trigger is stuck and continue to drain battery life.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @newArloPro_user

What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far? I do not want to suggest anything you may have previously performed.

Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm seeing this exact issue after the outage. Has anyone found a soluton? 

harley239
Apprentice
Apprentice

Works normal now without doing anything. Don’t know what fixed this, but fingers crossed.

@96709 wrote:

I'm seeing this exact issue after the outage. Has anyone found a soluton? 

Jowambol
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm having the same issue with one camera stuck in constant motion detection mode with no recording, draining battery. It does have activity zone set up. Just started happening in last couple months.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Jowambol

Have you tried to reboot the camera & base station and test again?

Jowambol
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes I have. I have also removed the camera and resynced it to the basestation. It now says that within the app that my basestation needs a firmware update, but when I click update, the button just rehighlights and does nothing.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support 

Jowambol
Aspirant
Aspirant

Haven't tried customer support yet, thought I would try here first.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try turning the base off and back on to see if that helps. If not, open that case.