Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 19 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
cakeandcocoa
Follower
Follower

Is it possible to setup the Arlo Pro system to only record to my local usb that is attached to the base system or am I required to use the cloud? If I am required to use the cloud what is the minimum upload speed that is required?

7 REPLIES 7
MillerJD
Aspirant
Aspirant

I plugged in a new 4 TB external hard drive into USB port 1. The Arlo Pro base station recognized it.

I went to settings, devices, base station, local storage, sub device recording, usb device 1, format. I selected the option to format it.  But it only formatted 1.6 TB of storage.

I'm not sure if it is recording local copies of videos or not.  Does it also save to the cloud?  Is it one or the other?  Or is it both??? 

Poor documentation is all I can find so far. 

Why did did it not format the full 4 TB external drive storage?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If you set up the PRO  and use USB drive local record, AND internet drop outs, it will keep recording to the drive.,,, But think that you at least need the internet connected for setup...and , if you have the cloud, no reason not to use it as a backup for the video... as you can't view from the usb drive without removing it first.

The Arlos and PRO can max at 1.5 Mbs... and Netgear recommends a min of 1MB up to function

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

MillerJD wrote:

.  But it only formatted 1.6 TB of storage.

I'm not sure if it is recording local copies of videos or not.  Does it also save to the cloud?  Is it one or the other?  Or is it both??? 

The USB drive WILL ONLY SUPPORT to 2TB as that is the theoretical max for Fat32 fromat....prob some lost in overhead

After the USB drive is set up , ythe base records the same videos to the usb drive and the cloud ( they would be in the Library ).

As to the drive, you CAN't view from the drive, the drive must be ejected ( like normal usb device )and then you can view the mp4 formated files with a third parrty viewer like VLC

Morse is faster than texting!
mustang5o
Aspirant
Aspirant

Will the system record locally if the internet connection goes down?  I realize we wouldn't get any alerts but at least there would still be video evidence if there was an actual break in or something.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Only if you have a USB device installed and configured. Note that they will not be uploaded to the servers when Internet access is restored.
MarkC
Luminary
Luminary

That is a shame!

@netgear can you please add a feature to sync recordings to the cloud once the inernet connection is restored or at lease have the log display a placeholder stating that there is a recording held on the loally attached USB storage device.

Thanks.

I ditched Arlo! As a Company they hold their Customers/Us in complete contempt! We beta test producs for them, the products only work properly for ~70% of the time at best!

If you are serious about your home or work security then look elsewhere! Get a ip Camera System with an NVR and some Blink XT cameras to cover the places you cannot run a cable to. You will NEVER regret moving away from Arlo!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MarkC,

Consider posting your idea in the Arlo Idea Exchange. The Arlo development team routinely reviews these posts for ideas on how to improve and introduce new features to the Arlo system.

Other community users can also review your idea and if they agree/like the idea, they can add Kudos showing their support. This encourages the development team to look more closely at the most popular ideas.

Thank you for your contribution,

JamesC