Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Lens Deterioration

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
JJGoodman
Tutor
Tutor
Really disappointed with this.
I've had a couple Arlo Pro cameras fitted for just under 3 years.

Both have worked flawlessly for the duration but noticed fogging on our camera situated at the front of our property. I noticed on the lens that it seems a coating was coming off which was giving the glass a purple/blue tint. Didn't pay much attention to it.

Yesterday I removed the camera to charge it and noticed it had got considerably worse and that the image quality of the recordings were shocking. The lens can't be cleaned with alcohol, lens cleaner, water, nothing. It's as if whatever coating was on it has completely come off and has now left an imperfect surface causing severe blurring to the image making the camera unusable.

I have raised this with support and just had it thrown back in my face. "It's out of 2 year warranty, so nothing we can do."

Shocking. Clearly a manufacture or build quality issue. The kit cost me nearly £400 and it's not even been used for 3 years and now I'm being left to replace the camera hardware. I have a second camera at the side of my property which is just showing similar signs of the same problem but for now is still usable. Just worried I'll be left with the same issue on that too before long.

Has anyone else come across this lens problem with the Arlo Pro Camera? And if so was you able to find any replacement parts to repair or other ways to resolve the problem? Not holding much out for Arlo to help me here.

Wouldn't mind if the cameras had served thier time well but they've not even had 3 years of use which I find appalling.
6 REPLIES 6
Dannybear
Master
Master
Are the cameras front face exposed to the sun at any time?
Do you live close to the ocean?
JJGoodman
Tutor
Tutor
Hi,

No don't leave near any ocean or sea.

The camera does get exposed to some sunlight but that's only from the afternoon onwards. The camera points downwards at our driveway so not directly pointing at the sun.

Do you think it could be UV exposure that's causing the deterioration to the lens?
Dannybear
Master
Master
I have had two pro2 cameras outside for three years but not noticed the deterioration described but they are sheltered and point away from the sun.
I expect that direct sunlight UV will discolour plastic or even glass lens eventually but unlikely in your case with minimal exposure, may be you have a abrasive environment or chemical issue close by.

The drop in image quality might be more arlo firmware related since they have been gradually increasing the motion compression over the years to minimise cloud storage and offsetting it with an improved quality under a subscription plan.

Do you have a image of the quality degradation to compare with an earlier time?
JJGoodman
Tutor
Tutor
Here's a screenshot from the app.

I currently have the faulty camera inside as i swapped it over with the camera we usually have located elsewhere.

You can see the difference in the image quality. Both are live views.
On the faulty camera anything at a distance is distorted and blurry. The bottom image is the working camera and you can see the image is clear.
Screenshot_20220422-081639_Arlo~2.jpg
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

maybe the iris... ?? it does look more out of focus than degraded lens.

try and adjust the Brightness under video setting just to see if it makes a diff.

( tho prob not, and there is no focus adjustment available )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JJGoodman
Tutor
Tutor
Yeh I know what you mean.
The outer lens has an imperfect surface you can feel it has a texture (not how a lens should be) other than smooth since the coating/surface appears to have come away.

Looks like I'll be buying a new camera. : (

I could get some fine grade paper to sand and then polish the lens glass. Used to do it with glass watch faces, see if that works.

That or I try and source some spares or a faulty camera and strip down for parts.

Arlo won't touch as it's out of warranty now. They've closed the case.