Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Latest Update - Battery Drain Issues Again

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
NetBox
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks Arlo once again for bringing back the battery drain issues.

I thought for a while the battery drain issue had been a lot better and things were starting to run better with Arlo Pro cameras and base station.

However I woke the other day to find my cameras reporting low and critical battery levels. Only to find the firmware had been updated and it had drained my batteries. They were between 80 - 50% on some cameras but then dropped to 14% and 25% in a very short space of time. Rebooted everything, reset again etc, charged one camera back up but it seems they are losing a good 4-7 percent each day now with no (or very little recording time). Its not just the Arlo Pro its now also the Arlo HD cameras too which are connected to the Pro base station.

Wish Arlo would STOP FORCING UPDATES to us. I am so sick of these terrible products I wish I had never bought them.

We know our cameras, when they are working just leave them alone and give US the ability to turn OFF updates!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pain in the backside and sick of climbing up ladders to retrieve batteries!

I charged my batteries last week to ensure they were ok over Christmas! WRONG now I have to charge them again due to drain issues.

PLEASE FIX THIS ARLO AND STOP UPDATING OUR SYSTEMS AUTOMATICALLY!!!!

9 REPLIES 9
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

There have been no firmware updates since October 25th. Only the app has been updated and that would have nothing to do with battery usage.

What firmware are you running now? (base and cameras)

If this issue started around October 25th, then maybe yes something went wrong with the update, but if it just started then ususally there is some kind of interference that's causing the cameras to disconnect and reconnect constantly which drains the battery. The battery drain issue was fixed this past summer. First thing I'd try is moving the base to another location or as far away from the router as you can get it. See if battery life improves. My busiest camera which records 20-30 one minute videos a day lasts me 60+ days, least used camera lasted me 118 days last charge.

Trinket77
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem all working good for some time and now fast battery drain what have you done? Nothing has changed on my end has to be software Help Please !!!

Two camera system both draining at the same rate FAST.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Trinket77

What troubleshooting steps have you performed so far?

Trinket77
Aspirant
Aspirant

HI Shayne have rebooted the hub , turned the video to low res and turned off Mike and speaker . I was getting good life until a few days ago the system is only about 9 months old. Have recharged today and will see how they go . They have not been armed so not sure what is happening.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Trinket77

How many recording do you receive a day, how long are the videos, what is your sensitivity for these devices? You can also try to reboot the camera by removing/reinserting the battery.

Trinket77
Aspirant
Aspirant

HI Shayne 

The system has not been armed so no recordings. I have rebooted the base station and just rebooted both cameras as suggested be removing the batteries. Overnight I have lost 10 % of battery life unarmed. This has to be a software problem as I was getting excellent battery life, nothing has changed on my side to cause this unless the system itself has developed a  fault within itself. A new software update is showing on the 18/1/19 this has no doubt caused this problem . I am extremely upset purchased this expensive system and now not fit for purpose ? HELP

Trinket77
Aspirant
Aspirant

Shane

as a work around am I able to leave battery charger permanently connected and switched on without any battery damage ? This will at least give me one camera.

Thanks

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Trinket77

Yes, you may have the cameras plugged in with the battery inserted. Are the base & cameras up to date with the latest firmware? I have provided a link that will help with verifying the firmware. Firmware Release Notes

Trinket77
Aspirant
Aspirant

Shayne

I incorrectly stated the model , it is a VMS 4230 system the software is 2.7.1 23406 and the cameras are1.092.0.19  26228 released on the 18/1/2019 and i believe this is the offending problem. I have checked the updates and it tells me I am up to date !!!

Thanks