Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Is Not Capturing All Motion

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
jamiehaas27
Follower
Follower

I have 5 arlo pro's set up at the house, 2 in the back yard. The cameras are not detecting my dog all the time. He keeps getting out, and it's not recording where he is escaping. I have one camera that covers the dog door, so it should start recording every time he goes out in the yard, however it's only capturing around 50% of the time, he's not a small dog, probably 50lb. 

Any ideas on why it is not capturing 100% of the time? 

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Small animals need two things with Arlo....

1) raise the sense level ( in the MODE you are arming with, you need to edit )

2) try and keep the camera more down to the dogs level... as if high, it may not detect as well ( also don't try to cover to large an area as even with people, max range is about 25ft, with a 50lb dog, it's more than likely less )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
TechNewbie
Initiate
Initiate
The same thing is happening for me. I see one clip where a car is in my driveway and the next shows it’s gone. I don’t see the person walk up to get into the car or see the car drive away. Luckily, I was expecting someone to pick up the car and it wasn’t stolen!

There is no sensitivity listed under MODE, only an option to record if motion is detected... I’m not sure how to fix this.
JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Choose the mode you want to change sensitivity or sensitivities in that mode by tapping the pencil icon. Choose the rule in the mode you want to change sensitivity with the pencil icon. Choose to edit the "detects motion" associated with the camera in that rule by choosing the pencil icon. Set slider to sensitivity. Back one screen and save edit.

Depending on the version of the app you are using, you may see "save" on the slider screen and "done" on one screen back. For me, the last version has no save on the slider screen, but save rather than done on the rule screen.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Better yet, read the FAQs here on how to modify modes and rules as well as how to create custom modes for full control.

TechNewbie
Initiate
Initiate
Thanks. I actually figured that out and found the sensitivity is way up. The issue is that sometimes my camera detects motion and not others. It recorded my friend walking to my front door, but not the UPS guy. It recorded a car coming into my driveway early in the day, but not the person who walked up my driveway and drove away in a car (which thankfully I was expecting!). The car was parked close to my camera.. I have zero confidence that the camera will capture someone stealing a car or breaking into my house. It’s just too unreliable.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Did you read the FAQ here about best camera positioning and try to adjust accordingly? Post a screenshot of the view for suggestions.