Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Internet Upload Speed Requirements

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
dbrigham
Follower
Follower

I would like to install 3-4 outdoor cameras and noticed on the packaging that 5MBPS Upload is recommended.  My internet provider only offers 3MBPS Upload and 12MBPS download.  I found an old post on Arlo that said 2MBPS upload was minimum.  Is that requirement higher for the Arlo Pro?  If I am using 3-4 cameras, will that create further speed problems? If on motion detect, would that solve the problem as long as there is not motion at multiple cameras?

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Min upload speeds from Netgear are set at 1Mbps... below are data rates;

bandwith.JPG

If you have a solid 3Mbps up, i don't think you'll have much issues

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Arlo-Man
Luminary
Luminary

In less than the amount of time it took you to post this message, you could have used the search option and found your answer.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

How much bandwidth does an Arlo camera use when it is capturing video?

Each camera uses a different amount of bandwidth based on its video resolution settings. To learn how much bandwidth your Arlo system uses, add the streaming cameras’ bandwidth settings together. If a camera detects low bandwidth, the Arlo system automatically reduces the video stream settings to accommodate lower bandwidth. 

Note: The listed values are approximations.

Arlo Wire-Free Camera:

• Best Video. 700-750 kilobits per second (kbps)
  • Optimized. 450-550 kbps
  • Best Battery Life. 300 kbps

Arlo Q and Arlo Q Plus:

• 1080P. 1500 kbps
  • 720P. 700 kbps
  • 480P. 300 kbps
  • 360P. 200 kbps
  • 240P. 100 kbps
Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I can say Tha unless all cameras are streaming at the same time 1-2 Mbs is fine. I had those speeds until recently.
Found_Child
Aspirant
Aspirant

I generally end up here via a google search; then re-google another Arlo question.

Your reply was humbling, funny, and quite helpful.

Thank-you,

"It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise, than for a man to hear the song of fools". Ecc 7:5

DJinNM
Aspirant
Aspirant

So my nominal upload is .8Mbps, but in actuality I get more like 600 kpbs. Is there any hope for me?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It will likely be problematic not only for recordings but also for updates.

DJinNM
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've had my Arlo for about 6 weeks now, and things are going fine. I suppose if I had a little more upload speed the video would have less pixelation, but for my purposes, this works fine. (There's no way to increase my upload speed -- it just doesn't exist where I live.)

thisguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does anyone know if these upload speeds are per camera or for the whole system regardless of number of cameras?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The quoted upload speeds are for each camera. Add them together for multiple simultaneous streams.