Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro I need to extend the motion range another 20 feet.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
amheck
Aspirant
Aspirant

hi Group, new Arlo Pro user here.  I have the camera installed at our front door - up about 8 feet and over a couple feet.  A few quick tests of me walking up to the door have the recording started when I'm walking away and capturing the back of my head.  Ideally, I'd like to capture the motion at the bottom of the walkway to get the recording started as soon as possible.

I have been into the settings and have tried to change the sensitivity and then play with the motion detection, but the red blinking LED never comes on unless I'm just a few feet from the camera about to step up on the porch.

Attached is a screenshot of my view.

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You may want to angle the camera a bit to the right  ( for two reasons )

1) movement is more readily detected across the FOV then directly in

2) at night when the IR illuminators go on , it will reflect a bit off the wall and lower the picture quality

Also turn up the sense level to about 95%+ and work down a bit  ( 1% at a time ) eliminating false triggers

max range for the PIR is about 25ft for people

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
amheck
Aspirant
Aspirant

thanks - so perhaps the sense level will increase the detection distance a bit?  

I will try and move the camera a little.  I am just using the magnetic mount, now, so I'm a little limited to how I can move it.  I wanted to make sure the camera would work for me before buying a nice external (and I think more adjustable) mount.  

Maybe I'll just go over and move the magnetic mount a little to the right and see if I can get that wood out of view a little more.

brh
Master
Master

Tom, You are absolutely correct about the head-on view of the sidewalk limiting the range, but if you study the photograph, it looks to me like he has no real choices for mounting for what he wants to do. It looks like the two columns are supporting a small roof and the area is just too small.

If it were me, I am thinking that a 6" x 6" post about 6' to 7' tall planted a couple of feet into the ground and placed further away from the porch at close to right angles to the sidewalk and porch could be the way to go. Hollow out a hole in the post to insert the camera in and put some type of metal banding across the very top and bottom of the camera to hold it in place with 3" screws to make it difficult for a theif to quickly grab it. Then paint the post and plant some flowers or shrubs around it to make the post look natural and partially disguise the camera. Being at right angles to the sidewalk/porch would increasi his lead time to record a video. 

Just a crazy thought that i might implement for myself.

Brian

amheck
Aspirant
Aspirant

Brian, thanks, you are exactly right.  IIRC, the porch is about 6'x5' and covered, so yeah, I put the camera is off to the side as much as possible, but yes, if head on motion detection is an issue, then this is going to be difficult for my situation.

I do like your idea of hiding the camera elsewhere.  Just have to see how creative you can get.  But at this point, if I can't get the motion detection any better, I'm not sure this camera would be useful enough to keep.  

We do have some big palm trees off to the side about 10-15' to the right of the door.  I wonder how you could attach and/or hide a camera in there.

brh
Master
Master

All motion detectors have the problem of head-on motion detecting being quite poor, so I don't know if you can cheaply solve the problem by purchasing another camera brand.

There are a couple of problems with my solution - power and range. As for the range issue - that is why I recommended a post. As for the power the Pro cameras can use the new Solar panel and you can disguise it also.

Another option would be to wait a couple of more months and purchase the Arlo lights. They come with a motion detector you could atach to a pole or tree and can also be powered with the solar panel. Use them to trigger the camera.

You could also look into the Arlo Q and place it inside looking out a window although the night vision would not work well. But with the soon to be relaesed lights they would not have to use the night vision. Don't know about reflections in the window though.

Brian

amheck
Aspirant
Aspirant

thanks - that's good to know that all cameras will be affected by this.  I really wanted to get a full IP POE camera setup, but this is really no functional way to run wires to the front door unless its on the exterior of the house.

I could stick some IP cameras up in the eaves, as I have access to the attic, but on the 2nd story, I don't know how well that works.

I may try to put the camera off to the side just to see how well the motion detection works and then I can evaluate what exactly I want to do.

brh
Master
Master

Temporarily, you might want to place the camera on a chair in the yard to experiment with placement and range. Place the camera at right angles to the porch where you can get a full view of the door. These cameras, being wide angle, you should still see most of the walkway and won't have cars giving you false notifications, (except for maybe your neighbor's cars). 

Kitony
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I just purchased my Arlo and am having similar problems. What I am thinking of doing is to build a small "bird house" and instal the camera inside, with holes appropropiate for the camera. Then it can be mounted on a post and placed in the best position, not only discuised, but is protected from the weather as well.