Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Hissing, Crackling, Popping Noise

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
SteveHale
Guide
Guide

Hi all.

One of my Arlo Pro Cameras is making a hissing, crackling, and popping noise.  the other 3 cameras are working just fine. I bought the 4 pack from Best Buy.

WHERE IT IS MOUNTED:

- Indoor

THINGS THAT I HAVE TRIED:

- Firmware updated to 1.088.0.0_9373

- Removed Camera from Base Station, then resynced

- Removed the battery, replaced the battery, and resynced

- Removed Camera from Base Station, removed the battery, replaced the battery, and resynced

- Disabled Night Mode

Results: Hissing, crackling, and popping noise still present

- Disabled the camera's microphone

Results: Hissing, crackling, and popping noise DISAPPEAR.  So does the audio of the recording.  Defeats the purpose of being Pro if THIS IS THE FIX.

CALLING UP BEST BUY FOR A REPLAC

We have the Replacement Plan from Best Buy (not to be confused with Geek Squad) so I called them up to ask if they could replace the ONE CAMERA that seems faulty.  The following options were offered to us:

- IF the camera had the Geek Squad Plan, they would come out to REPAIR the camera.  My BRAND NEW camera is to be REPAIRED.  BRAND NEW.  TO BE REPAIRED.  NOT REPLACED.  Gutted open to be REPAIRED.

- Since we have the Replacement Plan, and the plan was for a 4-pack, they cannot do a single camera swap.  ALL 4 Cameras and the base has to be UNMOUNTED, REPACKAGED and taken back to Best Buy to have it replaced.

- Best Buy could not find a store with a supply of Arlo Pros within our district, we are told they CANNOT ORDER replcement units.  Only for new sales.  So they want us to place an order(aka buy a new one), drop by the store, cancel it, then do the swap.

Thanks for taking the time in reading this and I am looking forward to hear from Arlo Experts and the Community.

- Steve

10 REPLIES 10
mkirk76
Tutor
Tutor

I had 3 out of my 4 cameras making noise. 2 of them were outside, and the noise worsened once the temps dropped below 60 F.  I tried a whole bunch of stuff, like you, to know avail.  The sounds were more of a high pitched chirping and distortion.  I contacted support (online and phone) and they offered little help or advise beyond everything you've tried. 

I ended up returning the 4 cameras and base station to Best Buy this morning, and exchanged for a new unit.  So far so good on these cameras....

Maybe Netgear will allow you to send them the faulty camera for a replacement.

When at Best Buy today, I also asked about replacement of an individual camera through my protection plan, and was also informed that if would have to be a replacement of the entire package (4 cameras and base unit).  Kind of annoying that they won't simply replace the one component having problems. 

SteveHale
Guide
Guide

@mkirk76: "Kind of annoying that they won't simply replace the one component having problems." - Agreed 😞

- Steve

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If the purchase location won't replace one cam....but only the whole system, def a pain.

Have you contacted Netgear support to see what they will do?

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
RWEED
Apprentice
Apprentice

Im having same issue. Contacted support and playing the waiting game. Considering returning before 14 days is up at best buy.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Certainly the fast/easy thing to do is to return the system and swap for another, if another is available at this point.  Check multiple stores if you have them.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

SteveHale,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC

RWEED
Apprentice
Apprentice

Here is the case # 27602305. Please Help. Thanks.

SteveHale
Guide
Guide

JamesC wrote:

SteveHale,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC

Hi James.

Thanks for chiming in. 

I will contact them as soon as i am done with work.  The 2 other cameras (1 indoor one outdoor) are now having a 1-2-3-4-high-pitched percussion beat (Hall & Oates Kiss on My List) going on in the background, Live or Recorded.

In all honesty, I wish this could be remedied by a Firmware patch instead of having it replaced.  But if it is a hardware issue, i'm happy i got the replacement plan.

- Steve

RWEED
Apprentice
Apprentice

How do i send a private messge?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Click on the user's name on the left.  On the right side of the new page is a link for a PM.