Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Goes Offline With Power Supply Attached

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
patthronson
Aspirant
Aspirant

The orginal thread apparently is closed as the reply button is greyed out, same problem returns;

Arlo Pro goes offline with power supply attached.

Model: VMC4030 | Arlo Pro Wire-Free Camera

2 year old Arlo Pro H8  Firmware 1.092.0.19_26228

2018-11-25 06:47 AM

Almost the same problem here but my indoor Arlo pro camera stays on-line for maybe a week plugged into the wall charger before it goes off line. I have to pull the battery for a few seconds then re-sync the camera to the base. This has happened twice in the last couple months while under constant power. After the connection is completed the power indicates 100% and does not lose any custom settings except turns “Battery Fully Charged Indicator” back on.

I am trying the advice from jguerdat of swapping the original charger with another one and hope it stays on-line longer than a week as I am on the road for long periods of time. My other 2 (1 outdoor, 1 inside my garage) plugged-in pros work great as my other 2 wireless which are too far away from power.

Pat Thronson

2018-12-17 05:43 PM

All I did was swap out the supplied arlo pro wall charger (everything else was not changed) with another one of the 5 supplied with my 5 camera system and so far all is good; If the camera goes off-line I will report back to this message thread.

Thanks jguerdat for the tip

Pat Thronson

2018-12-21

Went on the road for a few days and found the same camera went offline. I got back home resynced it and swapped it with one of my plugged in outdoor cameras. It is looking more like this camera is faulty or does not like when I leave home but so far all 5 cameras are working.

Will report back to this thread unless the reply button is greyed out again.

Pat Thronson

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
patthronson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Update: Have tried all combinations I can think of to try to keep this camera online for more than a week but it appears this camera is defective.

$163 dollar solution: Replaced with a Arlo Pro 2 and decommission my defective Arlo Pro, the other 4 Arlo Pros are working great.

Thanks for the input in trying to solve this problem.

Pat Thronson

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Pat, can you please use your mobile device and open (download?) an app called Wifi Analyzer? Then see which channel is leaast congested out of 1 or 6. Then log into your home wifi router and change the channel of the 2.4GHz network to whichever of these is least congested. Wait til you see it change on the wifi analyzer app. The power cycle the Arlo base station. Now wait and see if the same camera drops offline again

patthronson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi steve_t,

I am no network expert but I believe you are thinking the wireless cameras (transmitting on 2.4 to the Arlo router) is being corrupt by my other 2.4 devices. I would believe this but my other 4 cameras are working just fine. This is the only camera that loses connection when plugged in. I did swap locations with one of  my other working plugged in cameras and it lost connection in a couple days so I unplugged it and it is working fine now.    

I am using a PEPWAVE SURF SOHO MK3 router in order to use all my Verizon wireless internet products -  1. Pantech UML295 USB modem is plugged in, 2. AC791L jet pack is wireless set to 5GHz and my 3. Samsung S7 phone (which I seldom use as a hot spot) to utilize the 15 gig limits on each device.

I see there is a firmware update for my router which I will do.

For the last couple days I have left the questionable camera un-plugged and it is working fine as is the other 4 (2) are plugged into power and always have worked. Leaving the problem camera un-plugged might be the direction I use or just buy another camera when I go on the road for months at time in the summer.

Thank you,

Pat Thronson

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Awesome. Whatever works for you. Glad to hear you're up and running again

patthronson
Aspirant
Aspirant

The unplugged camera returned a notification;

“Uh-Oh Pat! Your Arlo Car Port is running low on battery. You’ve still got about 0% of juice left, but in order to maintain uninterrupted peace of mind, we recommend charging up the device as soon as you can.” So plugged it in and it read 84% strength. Being I already swapped batteries with one of my other ones, I believe I have narrowed it down to the camera. Before I go buy another one I am going to plug it in and put it on a power timer to only charge for an hour a day to see what happens. It would be a cheaper solution.

Pat Thronson

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Reboot the base first.

patthronson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Update: Have tried all combinations I can think of to try to keep this camera online for more than a week but it appears this camera is defective.

$163 dollar solution: Replaced with a Arlo Pro 2 and decommission my defective Arlo Pro, the other 4 Arlo Pros are working great.

Thanks for the input in trying to solve this problem.

Pat Thronson