Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
tomboy257
Guide
Guide

Why doesn't my Arlo Pro always detect motion? The mailman goes by every day, but the camera only dectects him occasionally. My wifes cousn was by the other day and the camera failed to pick him up in our drive or front yard. What gives? What adjustments need to be made, and can they be made remotely?

Thanks, Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
numb15
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi,

in the Arlo app:

1. go to 'Mode'

2. click on your base station name

3. Click the little pencil icon next to 'armed' (is it already pre-selected to Armed?)

4. tap on the pencil icon next to the camera which you think is not detecting motion

5. Tap on the pencil icon next to 'motion detected'

6. What is the sensitivity set at? If it's below 100, increase it

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
numb15
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi,

in the Arlo app:

1. go to 'Mode'

2. click on your base station name

3. Click the little pencil icon next to 'armed' (is it already pre-selected to Armed?)

4. tap on the pencil icon next to the camera which you think is not detecting motion

5. Tap on the pencil icon next to 'motion detected'

6. What is the sensitivity set at? If it's below 100, increase it

tomboy257
Guide
Guide

Okay, thanks. I'll try that and see if it works. I had motion detection set at 80%

numb15
Apprentice
Apprentice

If you think Audio is not being detected, you can modify that too. If you receive too many false alerts, as I have in the past, it's worth decreasing the sensitivity.

There is also another setting available for camera brightness, I am not sure if the brightness setting also impacts the quality of motion/audio detection, but worth keeping an eye on.

Motoray
Guide
Guide

I have tested 2 cameras and neither detect movement any further than 3 Meters from the camera, even though the sensetivity is set to 100% ! The other feature that is strange is they CANNOT detect movement through glass, ie a window  !. Seems the sensors may be infra-red ? or I have two faulty cameras.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

These cameras do, in fact, use PIR (passive infrared) sensors and glass does block it.

As for the sensitivity, are you setting it in your modes? Is the motion across the FOV or directly at the camera? You may want to read the FAQ here on best positioning.

tomboy257
Guide
Guide

Motoray,

Camera is on ledge between screen and window. Detects motion in the street 50 feet away only occasionally. Picks up the city snowplow, but didn't detect the truck that did my drive. 

Motoray
Guide
Guide

Thanks jguerdat,

Thanks for confirming that they are PIR. Yes sensitivity is set in modes and yes the motion is across the camera. Now that I know they are PIR I will re-think the setup. My older cameras worked on visible changes, so were much more sensitive to movement. Initially I setup one Arlo camera to monitor a shed door 30 feet away, that did not work, now I know why !!

Motoray
Guide
Guide

Hi tomboy257,

I hope jguerdat's reply to me re PIR gives some explanation to your comments.

tomboy257
Guide
Guide

Solved. By tweaking motion sensitivity to100% I've been able to detect motion that I've been missing. Thanks for your help and suggestions Jguerdat and Motoray.

Nomadswap
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same issue. But both cameras are set to view through glass. Will try repositioning but issue is cameras are wireless so installing them outside the house can get them stolen.
So using it through glass window.
Also had to turn night mode off as it doesn't work through windows.
Do most security cameras not work through glass??
Motoray
Guide
Guide

Hi Nomadswap,

A post by Jguerdat, explained that as the cameras use PIR for detection, they do not detect through glass. That was my problem initially as well. Yes, putting them outside can pose a problem, however you could use one of the other mounts that screw/bolt the camera to a mount. As far as night mode is concerned, the Infra-Red will reflect back from the glass, so working through glass becomes a NoNo. Hope that helps.