Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Does the camera send pictures to a locked iPad?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
ULOECHN
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am looking forward buying a Arlo Pro outdoor camera in addition to my intercommunication system at the entrance door. My main goal is that my kids are able to detect the person in front of the door to avoid talking to them and to become curious to open the door.

My question: Does the camera send pictures to a locked iPad? Precisely meaning does the lives stream/do the pictures of the camera appear already on the display if my kids just press the "home" butten or open the lid of the iPad? Or do they first have to unlock the iPad e.g. by fingerprint?

This is relevant for me because I don´t want to give my kids "all access" to the iPad if we are not at home (I think many parents understand my intention ;-))

3 REPLIES 3
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

In order to view live video or recorded video you have to actually open the Arlo app or log into the MyArlo webpage. The system can send you push notifications and/or email notifications that motion was detected and video was recorded. The push notifications can be viewed without unlocking the ipad, but to view the videos you have to unlock the ipad and open the Arlo app. On windows and android you can set up "kids access" that limits what the kids can do, I assume iOS has the same or similar feature.

ULOECHN
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your fast reply! If I understand your comment correct this means that I cannot use this system instead of a door camera because there are several operations neccessary until you are able to see the images of the camera on your display? This would be even more difficult for my kids if they have to access the device first (assumed that I have given them limited access), open the email or app and wait until the images are loaded?

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Yes correct, the basic free plan doesn't have a 24/7 live viewing option. It's a cloud based service and you have to have the Arlo app open or be logged into the Arlo website to do live viewing or to watch recorded videos.

However there is a 24/7 live viewing option that's available if you pay for that plan. You'd still need the app open, but you could just leave the app open all the time and when the ipad gets unlocked and the app is open you can immediatly view who is at the door. Or you view it thru the the arlo webpage as well, maybe have a computer that has the 24/7 live feed running in a browser constantly for immediate viewing. Those are options but you have to pay for that 24/7 viewing service.