Arlo Pro Camera battery

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
arlosp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi, I have a problem with a standard Arlo Pro camera battery.  This battery is charged and shows 7.45V before installation.  However it will not pair with the base station, all I get is a few orange light flashes, then nothing.

Now, the strange thing is that another, identical battery, charged and the same voltage, pairs no problem in the same Arlo pro camera (blue flashing lights, then sync).  I don't understand it.  Anyone any ideas what's going on?

A 2nd question: what is the purpose of the middle two terminals in the battery?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Of the four contacts... one is +, one -, one is ground, one is a sense ( could be for temp or battery status indicator (battery type or size ) ) terminal.

If one battery doesn't work but the other does it could be a couple things...

Dirty contacts on battery ( try gently cleaning with pencil eraser ) , retest.

A bad battery... even tho the voltage may be good, it may not be the same when a load is put on.

If bad any load may drop the voltage to much.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TomMac wrote:

Of the four contacts... one is +, one -, one is ground, one is a sense ( could be for temp or battery status indicator (battery type or size ) ) terminal.

Are you certain?  I believe they are

• +
  • - (which is ground)
  • temperature
  • battery status indicator

Hard to be certain, since only + and - are labeled.

arlosp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply.  I'd tried cleaning the 'bad' battery contacts but made no difference.  I'd also wondered if there might be a significant voltage drop when installed in the camera but still surprised if this was the case because I would have thought the current draw was tiny bearing in mind these batteries last for several weeks  between charging.

Oh well, that must be the problem.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Did you also clean the camera battery contacts?

arlosp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ref cleaning the camera contacts, yes I did.  But as I said the other battery works fine in the same camera.

One last point, it seems using the "bad" battery AND with a mains power lead connected, the camera still won't pair. I'm puzzled why this is the case, it's perverse that the battery actually prevents the camera pairing when there is the full voltage coming from the power lead?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

All I can think of at the moment is that the battery may be "shorting" the AC power being applied, dragging it down to a level that the camera can't use. Does the camera work if the battery is removed and AC power applied?

arlosp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, the camera works normally with just the mains lead, but not with the "bad" battery, whether or not there is mains power.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Guess it's time for a new battery - or just run it off AC power.