Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Camera Microphone is Not Working

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
jlowenby
Aspirant
Aspirant

The microphone on my Arlo Pro camera is not functioning.  It says I need to be using the latest version of Chrome.  I have checked my browser and it is up to date.  I can't "talk" with my camera.  What do I need to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@jlowenby wrote:

The microphone on my Arlo Pro camera is not functioning.  It says I need to be using the latest version of Chrome.  I have checked my browser and it is up to date.  I can't "talk" with my camera.  What do I need to do?

Have you tried a different browser or the mobile app?  Is the microphone turned on in Settings?  Also you say you can't "talk" with your camera.  The microphone is only for listing through your camera.  When talking through the camera, the microphone in use is on your laptop or mobile device, so you need to make sure your microphone is working and, you need to make sure the Arlo app (or browser) has permission to use the microphone on the mobile device or laptop.  This is in your settings on the mobile app...not the camera.  On the camera end, it is the speaker that is in use.  If you know the microphone on your laptop or mobile device is enabled, working and adjusted properly, your problen could be speaker volume.  Check the speaker volume for the camera in "Settings" for each camera.  Finally, there are a few steps to go through to operate the microphone and speak through the camera.  Interestly, I just tried it using Safari on my Mac and it didn't work.  I tried it using FireFox on my Mac and I was challenged to allow Firefox to use my microphone (which I allowed) and then I waited for the microphone session to connect to the camera.  After it connected I was able to click and hold a second (and larger) microphone icon on the screen and talk through the camera.  I was not near the camera, so I could not tell if my voice could be heard.  I'll post two screen shots...one failure and one success.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@jlowenby wrote:

Have you tried a different browser or the mobile app?  Is the microphone turned on in Settings?  Also you say you can't "talk" with your camera.  The microphone is only for listing through your camera.  When talking through the camera, the microphone in use is on your laptop or mobile device, so you need to make sure your microphone is working and, you need to make sure the Arlo app (or browser) has permission to use the microphone on the mobile device or laptop.  This is in your settings on the mobile app...not the camera.  On the camera end, it is the speaker that is in use.  If you know the microphone on your laptop or mobile device is enabled, working and adjusted properly, your problen could be speaker volume.  Check the speaker volume for the camera in "Settings" for each camera.  Finally, there are a few steps to go through to operate the microphone and speak through the camera.  Interestly, I just tried it using Safari on my Mac and it didn't work.  I tried it using FireFox on my Mac and I was challenged to allow Firefox to use my microphone (which I allowed) and then I waited for the microphone session to connect to the camera.  After it connected I was able to click and hold a second (and larger) microphone icon on the screen and talk through the camera.  I was not near the camera, so I could not tell if my voice could be heard.  I'll post two screen shots...one failure and one success.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Here is the image of my screen after going into Live View abnd pressing the microphone icon using Firefox.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

And here is the successful connection to the microphone...now awaiting my click and hold on the larger icon.

jlowenby
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks.

I wasn't very good at explaining....I actually meant talk Through the camera, not to the camera.

I am able to do so through the app on my phone and iPad, just not using the pc.  Seems I am having some microphone issues there.  I can live with that...I only really need to go through  the app anyway, like when I'm not home and I see someone at my front door.  Thanks for your help.

jlowenby
Aspirant
Aspirant

The microphone symbol on my phone and iPad are green and when I click on them, I get the little button to press and talk.

It is only on my pc where I have an issue...green microphone button is there but when I press it, it goes red and that is when I get the message saying I need to update my browser.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

You are welcome.

I know there have been some problem with the browser interface but on several browsers, so that could also be an issue.  Firefox seems to work pretty well for me when the UI isn’t working well with Safari.

cgbotts
Aspirant
Aspirant

Both my me and my wife are having the same issue.  We both can connect to the cameras and talk through them when we are on our home WiFi, but when we are away from the house we cannot connect and talk through it.  The system seems to be updated with the correct firmware (it updated when it was installed) and both of our phones/apps are updated.  I also tried to connect from work on my laptop and I get the same error and cannot connect.  This was one of the main reasons we purchased this system was the ability to talk through the cameras to the person triggering the camera.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@cgbotts

What firmware version is the base station and cameras running? What version of the Arlo Mobile App are you running? What Phone/Model/OS are you experiencing the issue with? What is the model of the cameras?

cgbotts
Aspirant
Aspirant
Base Firmware: 1.12.0.1_27940
Camera Firmware: 1.092.0.19_26228
Mobile App version: 2.6.3
iPhone 8+ running 12.1.2
iPhone 7 running 12.1.2
All cameras are new, just purchased the Arlo Pro 4 camera system from Best Buy
cgbotts
Aspirant
Aspirant
So my app updated overnight to version 2.7.0
I will test the microphone when I get to work this morning as it always worked at home.
cgbotts
Aspirant
Aspirant

@ShayneS wrote:

@cgbotts

What firmware version is the base station and cameras running? What version of the Arlo Mobile App are you running? What Phone/Model/OS are you experiencing the issue with? What is the model of the cameras?

Base Firmware: 1.12.0.1_27940
Camera Firmware: 1.092.0.19_26228
Mobile App version: 2.7.0
iPhone 8+ running 12.1.2
iPhone 7 running 12.1.2
All cameras are new, just purchased the Arlo Pro 4 camera system from Best Buy

Mobile App updated overnight and I tried to connect once I got to work and off my home WiFi and still cannot connect to the microphone from my phone or laptop.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@cgbotts

Have you tried to reboot the base station after the update?

cgbotts
Aspirant
Aspirant

@ShayneS wrote:

@cgbotts

Have you tried to reboot the base station after the update?

That did the trick for my phone.  My wife's phone didn't auto update so she will update it and let me know.

jlowenby
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for asking.  I have mangeged to pretty much solve my issues by "removing" the lights and re-synching them.