Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Donnadags
Guide
Guide

I have 5 arlo pro cameras all 1 year old or less. All of a sudden all of my cameras do not hold a charge for more than 2weeks. I tried calling and the person made it seem as though suddenly i do not know how to charge them. I am very disappointed as these are on a home in another state and I rely on them to have eyes on my vacant home.  I spent a lot of money on cameras that no one can tell me why this is happening 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Your base station may have already been updated. The base firmware is the same as from last month.

Here is where you should be:

Firmware versions:
Gen 3 and Gen 4 Base Station  1.10.0.9.23037
Camera VMC4030 (Arlo Pro) 1.092.0.17_25364
Camera VMC4030P (Arlo Pro2) 1.125.11.1_25366

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
DocCJC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Many of us have the same problem. It was caused by the May firmware update. There was a further firmware update in June that resolved one issue (IR lights staying on), but the battery drain issues are still not 100% fixed, based on the number of people still posting about it on this forum. I am still seeing excessive drain on some cameras for no apparent reason. Nothing has changed in my setup. So it's up to Netgear to investigate and determine what has changed in the firmware that causes the problem. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

If you're still having trouble with battery drain, I encourage you to open a case with the Arlo Support Team to further investigate the issue.You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. 

JamesC

Jayz0r
Star
Star

Or, and this is just a wild idea probably, maybe Netgear could look into the issue without us having to file individual support requests, seeing so many of us have the same issue. 

One of my cameras was last charged about 10 days ago, it's not doing anything (not armed, not recording, and very close to the base station) yet it drained 40% of the battery in that short time. Before may it was able to hold a charge for 4-6 months. 

Not really a system we can rely on anymore since the May and June firmwares. Netgear messed something up in those firmwares, they should fix it. Wouldn't surprise me if it had to do with the new plans that they offer now. 

DocCJC
Apprentice
Apprentice

I totally agree. Surely the noise comming from this forum on the onging battery drain issues is more than enough for Netgear to put some focus on the problem without us all having to open tickets. I really like the Arlo products but if this issue is not fixed soon, it will be deal breaker for me. 

AMocioi
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have my device since May, and battery lasts constantly 1 month.
A friend has the same model, did all the firmware updates and uses its device for 3 months, though we are using the same settings în geofancing + schedule mode.
What can I do?
Thanks
PS: I am în Romania, do not have a dedicated support line and could not catch an agent on live chat either.
Donnadags
Guide
Guide

I have and I was told it was the wireless channel from my cable provider.  Which I do not know how that could suddenly be a problem since it was working fine previously.  And it is not the problem.  As another person stated with so many people having the same issue it’s very disappointing and infuriating that we are not getting better help.  It so far seems since you already have our money it’s an oh well attitude. Something needs to be done

Donnadags
Guide
Guide

They are now telling me it’s the wireless channel my cable provider has it on to call the cable co to change the channel 

AMocioi
Aspirant
Aspirant
I do not understand this.
Base is cable connected with the ISP device, and base and camera communicate via own Arlo wireless channel, and it was designed by them this way, to be independent from the other devices and security reasons.
And btw, a friend has the same arlo pro(bought couple of months before), the same ISP, same house structure, same network devices but for him battery life is 3-4 months
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

There was a new firmware push today, hopefully it fixes you guys who have the battery draining problem. (not an issue for me).

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Release-Notes-Arlo-Pro-Base-station-Arlo-Wir...

AMocioi
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi,
Thanks for update.
However, is this happening automatically? Because i see no option in my app to update firmware...
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The only ways to attempt to update firmware are to 1) power cycle the base and see if an update is noted and/or 2) check Settings, My Devices, your device, Device Info and see if any update is noted. Otherwise it's done automatically overnight.

1dpnaugle
Initiate
Initiate

Yes, My 6 Alro Pros  drop to less than 25% with in 3-4 weeks with no to very little use. I am not even settting them on schedule because its such a hassle to charge them now.

Prior to a couple of months ago they held charge for 3-6 months on a daily scheudle.

This sucks.- Fix it Netgear.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi 1dpnaugle,

The Arlo Development team is currently investigating reports of this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have further information.

Jacc619
Initiate
Initiate

Hi,

Add me to the list of customers with this probelm. We use the cameras to monitor my 90 year old mother. For almost a year the battery life was great, the cameras have been unusable for months.Get this fixed, do a recall, do something please. 

JeffGordon
Initiate
Initiate

The community needs to stop labelling solved the arlo pro battery issue. It most definitely is NOT solved. My batteries ccontinue to drain in less than 2 weeks whereas before it was 6-9 months. I talked to support. They wanted me to try all the things we know won't work and we have all tried.  After about 30 minutes he confided in me that it is a known problem.....and they currently have no real fix. (I hope he doesn't lose his job because it was the first honest thing Netgear has said to me in years)  My guess is, they never will have a fix.  We are faced with two solutions.......either recharge our batteries every two weeks or hook up a black outdoor AC powersupply permanently to each camera. The latter works for two of my three cameras so I will try that next and report back here.  So, the bad news is it is not fixed. The real bad news is I doubt it ever will be fixed. The ultimate bad news is the support guy thought the problem exists with the pro2 as well.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@JeffGordon

The fix, which is new base and camera firmware, is being tested right now. The feedback has been mostly positive and results so far are looking promising. The fix is coming.

Moshea821
Tutor
Tutor

I have had ongoing issues with two of my arlo pro camera batteries not holding a charge.  Now I can't even run one of my cameras unless it is plugged in! So much for wireless! I already called and got replacements and unfortunately, the new ones did not hold a charge either!  I still remember what the customer service rep put me through to ensure it was the battery and not user error and apparantly, she should have known because EVERYONE seems to be complaining about the same thing!

Why not just send out replacements to everyone and call it a day? These cameras are not cheap and people rely on them for security-I don't appreciate the lack of concern on the part of Arlo.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Replacement batteries, cameras, bases, will not fix this issue. It is the firmware. The batteries are fine. New fimware to fix the issue for those experiencing it is being tested now.

Netknut
Guide
Guide

I opened a Case and was told 'the battery needed to be replaced'. Obviously the 'tech' was not aware of our problem!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the battery is totally dead, you have to use a procedure detailed in an FAQ here to "wake it up".

Iisa
Tutor
Tutor
It would be nice if those of us with existing cases were updated with this being a known firmware issue instead of us scrambling around spending hours trying to fix I'm about done with Netgear. I was told the same thing it's a Wi-Fi issue, set the channel, no it's not reset the bases reset this reset that . How about if you get all your customer service people on the same page and let us know via our case that it's your firmware issue and you're going to fix it and when. Case #40360339
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Arlo released the firmware update last night for the Pro series cameras to fix this. Check the Release Notes section here and verify that your cameras have updated.

Iisa
Tutor
Tutor
Where is the release notes section I don't see a link
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Iisa,

I have provided a link to the firmware release notes below.

Arlo Release Notes