Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Bfassler752
Guide
Guide

We bought our cameras and installed them about two weeks ago. The base station is plugged directly into our Netgear R6400 router, which works great. Every single night, the base station goes offline. When I check the cameras as 6 am, the base station shows as offline, the light shows as amber on the base station, and none of the cameras are accessible. Sometime between 6am and 7am, the base station comes online on its own and everything works as normal. Wifi is working normally at our house during this offline time, so I don't think it is the router.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bfassler752
Guide
Guide

I'm going to put my tail between my legs and admit I'm an idiot. I think I know what is going on. We have a Disney Circle device that we use to monitor the kids' internet time. The base station must've gone into the "home" group when I added it, which shuts the internet off from 12-7. I feel so dumb. 😞

I set it as unmanaged and will watch tonight. I'm sure that was it though.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Assuming it's the Internet LED that's amber, can you ping arlo.netgear.com? Try power cycling both the base and router.

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Could you have some access control rules on your R6400 for the IP address issued to the Arlo base?

Have you tried a restart of both the base and the R6400?

Bfassler752
Guide
Guide

Hi. Yes, everything else in our house is working fine. No need to reboot the router. The base station even comes back online itself, so no need to reboot that either.

Bfassler752
Guide
Guide

This is what I was thinking. For some reason, the router is blocking the base station during a certain time at night and early morning. I do have some rules setup on my router for IP addresses that end in .241+ (my kids' electronic devices' MAC addresses have these IP addresses reserved). The IP address for the base station is ending in .54, so it shouldn't be blocking it. Plus the schedule for the block is 9pm-midnight. Since it's still blocked at 6am, it doesn't seem to be that.

I suppose I will try a restart of both them tonight and see if there is any difference. 

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

My first thought was a internet blocking rule you might have in your router. Since you do have one, check your timezone settings in the router and also in the arlo app, make sure it's all correct. And maybe try turning off the rules one night just to see if anything changes, even if the ip range is different, if you try this at least you can eliminate the rules for sure as a source of the problem.

Bfassler752
Guide
Guide

So last night, I rebooted both the router and base station before I went to bed. I disabled the blocking rules on my router and I checked the clocks/timezones of both the router and the Arlo and everything was setup in the central time zone and reflected the correct time. 

I checked around 11pm and the base station was still online. I woke up around 12:30 and checked - now it is offline. When I woke up this morning at 6:15, it was still offline. I tried rebooting the base station then. Came back up, but still offline (internet light is amber). According to the GUI for my router, the base station was in an "allowed" state, like the other 50 devices I have on it. I sat watching it, and RIGHT at 7am, the base station came online. By itself. 

I am just baffled. I have nothing else on my router that is working this way. The only thing I can think of is to just hook the base station directly up to my modem tonight, bypassing the router, and see what happens. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Or try putting the base in the router's DMZ.

Bfassler752
Guide
Guide

I'm going to put my tail between my legs and admit I'm an idiot. I think I know what is going on. We have a Disney Circle device that we use to monitor the kids' internet time. The base station must've gone into the "home" group when I added it, which shuts the internet off from 12-7. I feel so dumb. 😞

I set it as unmanaged and will watch tonight. I'm sure that was it though.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero
LOL. We've all been there, but at least you figured it out. I think you actually did a good job troubleshooting and eventually figuring it out. Most "typical users" probably wouldn't have done the troubleshooting you did, let alone know how to get into the router admin page, and also how to setup rules. Good job, glad you figured it out.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Ain't technology grand?