Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Base Station Thinks A Second USB is Connected When There is Nothing There

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Charjay
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello Community,

I was hoping to have this figured out, but I'm at a loss.

I'm trying to get this USB local storage thing to work, and I ran into some trouble, but then sort of fixed it. At first, I was having issues formatting the USB. It continued to give me an error message saying it cannot format it or eject it. I checked several posts and they all end with it saying a firmware update fixed the issue. Apparently not, if this is still happening.

After a few hours of trying everything I've read (formatting in FAT32 and not exFAT32, restarting the base station, trying other USBs, etc.) I did the one thing you wouldn't think would work: I formatted it in NTFS. I plugged it into the base station and when I tapped on Format, IT WORKED! It is now online and ready to accept footage recordings.

However, for some reason the base station thinks there's another USB plugged into the second USB port when there isn't anything there. It says to format it and when I try, it gives an error like before. Can't disconnect it either since there's nothing there. What do I do to remove that notification of a non-formatted USB plugged into the second port when there is nothing there?
3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Is it possible that there is a second partition on the USB drive that is confusing the system?

If you have a windows PC, you can connect the USB drive to the PC, and then launch the Windows Disk Manager.  If you do see multiple partitions/volumes, you can right click on all of them and delete them.  Then create a single partition and reformat the drive.

Charjay
Aspirant
Aspirant
Nope, it only has a single partition. I've checked that during my efforts trying to get it to work initially.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Does the second USB disappear when you remove the drive?

If so, have you tried connecting a USB thumb drive to the system, and see if that behaves the same way?