Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
KevinCanWait
Guide
Guide

I made it down to these few items on the 'My Arlo base station is offline; how can I troubleshoot it??'

How do I:

Check your router’s DHCP settings and client list???????

Ensure that DHCP is enabled and that router's DCHP client list supplied an IP address to the base station (if it did, the base station appears in the client list.) For more information, see your router documentation?????? 

Check the router's security settings and firmware to ensure that no changes were made since the last time it successfully connected???????

You might want to temporarily lower the security settings on the router or temporarily place the base station in the DMZ to rule out any firewall restrictions????? If you make these changes, power cycle your base station as described in Step 3.

Check to make sure that ports 443 and 80 are open on your router??????? I have a Netgear router and they aren't labeled.

What is Power Cycle??? Turning the power off???

My Arlo Pro base is offline, as are the cameras, and I didn't realize I needed a computer engineering degree for the above steps. This is supposed to be a plug and play device for the most part.

11 REPLIES 11
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Power cycle is simple... turn the base off and then on using the power button...it fixes most/many problems.

As to ports, they are almost always open except at your work places or similar... home they allow internet transfers so are usu on by default.

The IP addres given to the base is dynamic or automatic... tho you can check on the addresses given by looking into your router

To be honest, it is mostly plug and play... there are always a few problems now and then as the computer setups can vary so much from one to another.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And note that the color of the Internet LED on the base tells almost all.  Off is a problem.  Amber means it's connected to the router but not the Internet. Green means everything is ok.

KevinCanWait
Guide
Guide

okay, thanks for the info.

all 3 lights are green

KevinCanWait
Guide
Guide

I did step 4:

Power cycle your base station.

Unplug the power adapter from the outlet, wait one minute, and reconnect the power adapter to the outlet. The base station takes one to two minutes to start. When the Power LED and Internet LED light solid green, your base station is connected to the Internet. If the Internet LED is amber, continue troubleshooting.

I have 3 green lights, however, the base station and 4 cameras remain offline.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What are you using to see this - the app or a browser?  Try the other as well as a different browser.  Might also be worth restarting your phone and checking again.

KevinCanWait
Guide
Guide

When the phone appp wouldnt show connection, I tried the laptop. So both.

Of course, when you log into one, the other logs you out.

Both show to have base and cameras offline.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I suspect you'll need to reset the system.  Remove all devices in Settings, My Devices. Wait for the base to show green LEDs for power and Internet.  Use the Add Device button on the Devices tab to add the base and then sync the cameras again. Be sure to only briefly press the base sync button - don't hold it.

Did that work?

KevinCanWait
Guide
Guide

Just to clarify, are you saying to do the fatory reset? Pushing in the reset button with a pin, etc?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Prob... that's what I would do

Morse is faster than texting!
KevinCanWait
Guide
Guide

After several attempts, reset finally worked.

Also, these instructions from Netgear Arlo need to be revised:

1. Click or tap New System Setup

There is no such button that is called New System Setup.

Thanks for the help. Appreciate it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's because you're not setting up a new system - you just logged in with your account which has active devices. Remove EVERYTHING from Settings, My Devices. Open and close battery doors. Use Add Device on the Devices tab to add the base and sync the cameras. Be sure to only briefly press the base sync button - don't hold it.