Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
JayArlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Looking to get an Arlo Pro system (cameras and base station). Wondering if this would work. 

I do NOT need live viewing / remote viewing / cloud storage. I am only looking to save motion-detected video recordings to local USB storage for later viewing.

Will this work:

1) Connect Pro Base Station to my router using ethernet cable. 

2) Sync Arlo Pro wire-free cameras to Base station, then place cameras in final desired location

3) Plug in USB drive to Pro Base Station for local storage recording.

4) DISCONNECT ethernet cable from Pro Base Station so that base station is NO longer connected to internet.

Will the cameras continue to function and only save their recordings to the local storage in the Base Station? Or will nothing work because the internet has been disconnected?

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While you could do this with with a Pro system or a Q Plus camera, it would be more effort than it's worth.  Arlo is designed around cloud access.

JayArlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Could you perhaps elaborate on why it would be more effort than it's worth? 

My only goal is to get motion-recorded video clips saved to local storage, and avoid upload to a cloud (because of data cap concerns). 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The system is designed for cloud access first and local USB drive second.  You would have absolutely no control over the cameras if not connected to the servers - all you could do would be to pull the drive (risking file system corruption since you couldn't unmount it first), view the videos and reinsert the drive (hopefully the base would remount the drive properly). Too many unknowns and possible ways to screw things up with no way to fix or manipulate them