Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 5 Hard Drive

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Valentides
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can I connect a Arlo Pro 5 via wifi to a hard drive for local storage

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Valentides wrote:

Can I connect a Arlo Pro 5 via wifi to a hard drive for local storage

You'd need to get a smarthub  (VMB4540 or VMB5000), and connect the Pro 5s via the smarthub (and not your home wifi).

The VMB4540 supports USB storage, the VMB5000 supports microSD.   I don't recommend using a hard drive - a USB thumb drive stores enough, and is simpler.  I use 128 GB myself.  

There is a limit of 2 TB on the VMB4540.   

Although the VMB5000 is supposed to support that size also, all the  2 TB microSD cards I've seen for sale are scams/fakes.  Some 1 TB cards are legit, but there are plenty of fakes in that size range too .  I think some folks have managed to use 1 TB cards - but personally I wouldn't go above 512 GB.  If you do try a 1 TB size, make sure it is a name brand.

Valentides
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your help. I would prefer to use a usb drive so will have a look at that model 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Valentides wrote:

Thank you for your help. I would prefer to use a usb drive so will have a look at that model 

The interface is USB 2.0, and power is limited to the USB 2.0 spec.  So if you really want to use a hard drive, you should make sure it can be separately powered.  It also needs to be formatted as FAT32.