Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
rpac78
Aspirant
Aspirant

I connected my Arlo Pro cameras last night and everything worked fine while I was on my home ethernet but when I try to use the 2-way communication function while on my T-Mobile LTE, it just shows "Connecting..." without ever connecting.  Everything else works fine: I can see and hear from each camera but just can't communicate.

Both the base and each camera updated as soon as I turned them on so I believe the firmware is up to date.  I've deleted the app and restarted my phone but still nothing.

Is there a problem with the T-Mobile network and the Arlo IOS app?

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Several other threads for the reading about this. The issue seems to be that T-Mobile is using IPv6 which causes an issue with Arlo for some reason. Use of WiFi or a browser are the only current solutions.

rpac78
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response.  Is there any plans to fix this?  I thought that the current internet protocol was IPV6.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Netgear and T-Mobile are supposedly working on this.

IPv6 is still a work in progress. AFAIK, my ISP is still IPv4. With all the existing devices out there with IPv4 addresses, it's not going to change anytime soon. There's no real need to force everyone onto v6 when the existing configuration still works fine. Time will tell.

rpac78
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks again for the reply.  

There probably should've been a notice that explicitly explains that the 2-way communications of the Arlo Pro won't work on T-Mobile networks.  It's one of the selling points that gets advertised a bit.

villron
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree, this should have been disclosed to T Mobile users. It was definitely one of the reasons why I bought the Arlo Pro. What is the best was to keep updated on any fixes for this and how can I log this issue with Netgear so that they know more and more of their user base has this issue so it becomes more of a priority to fix?

rpac78
Aspirant
Aspirant

I went under the support section and logged a case in with Netgear.  I hope their official take isn't as dismissive as the the community gurus.  I'm pretty sure that T-Mobile users are a pretty sizeable chunk of potential users of Arlo and for it not to work on their networks is quite an oversight.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Dismissive?  I posted what is known with as much of an explanation as seemed useful.

rpac78
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm sorry but I took this line:

There's no real need to force everyone onto v6 when the existing configuration still works fine.

as stating that there's no need to help out T-Mobile users considering that it's working for everyone else.

Sorry, I'm just a bit annoyed that I got a system which touts the ability to chat through the camera only to find out that it doesn't work with my phone provider (which they have been "working" on since January) and nothing on the packaging saying DOESN'T WORK WITH T-MOBILE.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No prob.  I was talking about v4 vs. v6 relative to the Internet, not about how Arlo has issues with it. I agree that it needs to be addressed especially since T-Mobile is just the first to have an issue.  Like Flash, there's a long-term issue that needs to be addressed.

villron
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your inputs in keeping me knowledgable with why this issue is occurring.  I logged a case with Netgear and hope to get a reply that states something other than "the issue is being reviewed and worked on but no eta".  Again, like rpac78, this was a strong selling point for me to buy and to not have this functionality is really frustrating and will affect my decision to return my Arlo. Will keep the forum posted when I get some type of reply.