Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Stevejb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Having issues with camera taking TOOOOO long to activate.  I have camera pointing at my driveway, it doesn't "kick in" until the vehicle has moved to the front of the house.  see atttached.  Is there a "sweet spot"  that i need to aim for?  camera is basically worthless ..    WHY doesn't the camera show the vehicle coming down the driveway?   i have more examples. 

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Your attachment didn't take. Read the FAQs here for best positioning. Motion needs to be mostly across the FOV, not at the camera.  Try posting images or links again.

Stevejb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks.   Seems odd that can't attach the actual video.

Attached is the view when the camera first records.  Truck is halfway down the driveway.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Part of the issue is the view - it's angled too much to see the whole driveway which makes motion more or less directly at the camera. You may need to use an outdoor screw-in mount to get the best angle or perhaps reposition the camera to a different location.

The other part of the issue is simply the distance. While vehicles have a generally larger IR signature than a person, there's still a point at which it won't be detected.

Based on the image you provided, I would rotate the camera down and to the left more, perhaps closer to the driveway, which should give more satisfactory detection results.

BTW, you can always view a video in the library and use the Share icon to copy the link to the video for pasting into a reply here. The only issue is that the link only stays active for 24 hours. You can also host the video someplace and provide the link hre, too.

Stevejb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you for your input.  The camera is mounted via mount (magnet too limiting).

Guess I'm trying to view too much.   I also wanted to see if the garage door was open.  I will review/see about lowering and moving pointing more towards left or maybe move to the other side of the garage door.