Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 2 base station and google Wifi

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Postcall247
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the Arlo Pro 2 and need to get a a second base station to place camera where the WiFi doesn’t reach. . I have google WiFi with 3 stations. My question is- if I get a second Arlo base station, can I use the Ethernet port on the google WiFi station to expand my arlo area ?? I tried plugging the arlo base station in the Google base station and it didn’t work during the installation , which is why I ask. Thanks I’m advance

Postcall247
10 REPLIES 10
brh
Master
Master

@Postcall247

I purchased a range extender and plugged the second base into its ethernet socket. I believe if you use the same wifi connectin as the one that you use for the Pro 2, that would work.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Doesn't need to even be on the same WiFi, just connected via Ethernet so it can access the Internet.

Postcall247
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. Just to clarify , i'm looking to plus the second Arlo base station into a second google Wifi.  I am currently using this system, and have no more available space for a different extender.  

Postcall247
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for response.  Specificially wondering if the second Arlo base station can hook into a second google wifi base. 

brh
Master
Master

I would think so.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As long as the base has Internet access, it will work regardless of where/how it's plugged in. It can be on a second network in a different state or country.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Getting a second base is a great way to expand your Arlo network range. As above, as long as the base has internet access via an ethernet port, it will work. The only caveat is that the cameras will be set indendepently of each other. Each base station will have its own mode to set. This is a really handy feature in some ways but you then can't cross trigger cameras. Luckily, you'd be unlikely to want to cross trigger cameras that are located at different ends of the house. If you get a second Pro(2) base, you'll also need a second USB drive if you want local storage backups

Postcall247
Aspirant
Aspirant
I understand the second base would work with Ethernet. I’m wondering if using the second google WiFi can be used. In other words- I am not sure if you can plus arlo base directly into google WiFi.

I don’t want to buy base station and not have it work. If I were to get a second base station then I’d have to look at the feed under a different list from the others ?
brh
Master
Master

@Postcall247

This is going to be a rather long answer and take from it what you will. I do understand your question.

Firstly, the Arlo base station must use an ethernet cable to plug into an internet router or range extender.

Secondly, since I do not own the Google Wifi I am not sure exactly how they work. 

Thirdly, I can't seem to get much info on the Google Wifi. I see that their base needs to plug into a modem/router with an ethernet cable. So if you purchased another unit, how would you connect it to the modem/router if you put it into a different part of your house?

Fourthly, I see that their unit does have other USB ports, but I cannot get any information on what they are used for.

Fifthly, by the pictures I can not tell if the Satellite units have USB ports or not and if they do, what are they used for?

Now that being said, the Google Wifi should work just like any other wireless wifi router. That is why I suggested that instead of purchasing another Gogle Wifi unit, you should be able just to purchase a wifi extender. It simply plugs into the wall power outlet and connect to your Wifi wirelessly. You would simply link it to the Google Wifi just like any other wifi device. Connect to your wifi and enter your SSID or password and you are set to go. It should have at least one USB port to plug the Arlo base station into.

Plug the Arlo base station into the power outlet, plug it into the extender using the range extender and set it up just the same way as you did the extender.

Problem solved.

If for some reason the extender and/or the Arlo base station did not work would probably be because the ports Arlo needs to be open are blocked by the Google router and you would have to ask Google how to unblock them. But that probably won't be a problem.

Brian

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Postcall247 wrote:
I understand the second base would work with Ethernet. I’m wondering if using the second google WiFi can be used. In other words- I am not sure if you can plus arlo base directly into google WiFi.

I don’t want to buy base station and not have it work. If I were to get a second base station then I’d have to look at the feed under a different list from the others ?

Yes, Google Wifi will work. The satellite units have 2 ethernet ports underneath.

The devices will all be in your device list and all the recordings will be in your library as long as you either use the one account, or grant access properly to the second account if you go with two