Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro - 1 of camera going offline

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
jujojoh
Tutor
Tutor

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Arlo-Pro-keeps-dropping-quot-offline-quot/m-p/1185918/high...

See above thread. The thread has been closed but I have the same issue. I changed battery, location swap with another camera. The issue seems to be consistant with the discussion made. I am still trying to test out exactly at what range this is occuring. This seems to me the issue with the camera, whether its due to some software glitches or hardware issue. In addition, this camera captures "phantom" motions, when there is zero motion going around in the surrounding area. 

As per @GBMaryland "So, they've replaced two of my Pro cameras due to "death spiral;" the condition when the camera just keeps taking video, even though there is no motion.", this seems to be the exact problem that I am having. This morning, I went down to basement (little darker) and noticed light was on through the lens (the red light when camera is on), while camera was deemed to be offline. Noticed serious battery drain + camera being warm, which would only indicate this is due to camera being constantly being on. My hardware is V8.

Has there been any additional words from Netgear + anyone else continue to experience this issue? 

Since I only got this few days ago, I am planning to just return this and get Pro 2, hoping no such issue comes up. But any additional input would be great

3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jujojoh,

It sounds like there could be an issue with the camera. Does the camera constantly detect motion if you move it to an empty room where there is absolutely no motion occurring?

JamesC

jujojoh
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC wrote:

jujojoh,

It sounds like there could be an issue with the camera. Does the camera constantly detect motion if you move it to an empty room where there is absolutely no motion occurring?

JamesC

yea its definitely issue with the camera. I am getting motion detection but no recording, no motion detection but detects and recording and etc. This camera is completely faulty - as you suggested, it has been detecting motion in an empty room. I tried to wave my hand - I get an alert through my phone but no recording or an email either. So this camera is doing at least 3 things wrong:

1. Detects motion when there are none

2. Detects motion, but doesnt record or email (alert through app still came in)

3. Goes completely offline, drains battery by constantly trying to record at a certain distance (location, battery tested with another camera, which doesnt have the same issue)

More testing needs to be done, but I am going to be returning this batch and getting the Pro 2. I hope same issue is not prevalent since as I read, I am not the only one facing this issue.

jujojoh
Tutor
Tutor

So I have pre-ordered Arlo Pro 2. I am hoping Pro 2 will not have this issue. But based on my experience, this 1 particular camera is simply not usuable. @JamesC, if problem exist for Pro 2, I really hope that Netgear can do something about it (I have been reading a lot about how difficult it is to get RMA for this product), and not just brush under the rug.