Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Device off line

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
RobH03
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi There, 

I have the Arlo Pro, 2 camera's and the base station.  The camera's keep going offline.  I've had to reset them twice.  

A few things to consider.  My modum, is also a wifi router from my ISP, it comes with two networks on it.  The modem and base station are beside each other, base directly connected.  All this in on the main floor of our house.  On the second floor, I have a signal booster, therefore from a wifi perspective, there are 4 networks in total to connect too.  

I suspect the camera's are switching between networks but I do not know how to resolve this issue.  If there is no solution, I need to return the gear as the booster is required for the house.  thanks. 

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

None of your home networks have any effect on the wireless cameras since the connection between t he base and cameras is dedicated. The cameras can't switch networks - they will only connect to a base.

That doesn't mean t hat interference isn't happening. It could be due to proximity to some portion of your WiFi or any other 2.4GHz device, including microwave ovens. You can try repositioning the base and/or cameras to see if that helps.

RobH03
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks. I've moved the base another 3 feet from the modem. I don't believe this is an emi issue, tv, microwave etc. Back door camera is 20 feet from base, front door is 60 feet. They both go offline at the same time. Could the base be defective ?
RobH03
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks. I've moved the base another 3 feet from the modem. I don't believe this is an emi issue, tv, microwave etc. Back door camera is 20 feet from base, front door is 60 feet. They both go offline at the same time. Could the base be defective ?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Could certainly be an issue with gghe base. Open a case with support. Also, 60 feet may well be an issue - 20 feet could be, too. Temporarily bring the cameras closer to the base to see if the issues continue.

RobH03
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well if the distance is the issue, and I don't think it is at this point then the technology won't work. I'll have to return it.  Thanks for your help

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Positioning the base inbetween the two cameras to maximize the connection could be an easy solution.  If needed, use a long Ethernet cable or a WiFi extender to plug the base into.

RobH03
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just to be clear, these devices worked fine for a month, maybe 2.  And even when I reset the devies they worked fine for a few weeks again before going offline.  If it was a signal issue, why they both go offline at the same time?  Seems to me like this is a base station hardware issue given the proximity to one of the camera's is so close.  

Also, is there a console to access for firmware upgrades?  Could this be the issue?   

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If there's interference near the base, both cameras could easily be affected, hence the suggestion to simply eliminate that as a cause.  No guarantees but worth a try.  And it's still possible that it's a hardware issue, such as a weak WiFi signal from the base.  In that case, an open case for a possible RMA or swapping the system at the store would be needed.

There's no "console" or anything else for firmware updates.  They're done automatically.  The best you can do is to verify that they're all up to date by comparing what you have with what's listed in the Release Notes here.  Sometimes updates don't get installed and extra effort is needed to get things set up right the first time (reboots or resets) but should be smooth afterwards.