Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
nigelhs
Tutor
Tutor
In recent days, one of my four Arlo cameras has started to trigger even when there is no movement. It triggers every ten seconds! That is, after the recording period I have set for that camera - ten seconds. This happens even when pointed at a plain wall. I have tried "Remove Camera" through the app. I have tried removing batteries to 'hard' reset the camera. I have tried resetting the Base Station. I have tried doing all these together - turned off Base Station + removed batteries of the faulty camera + Removed Camera. Then turning Base Station on - it synchs with my other cameras faultlessly - then replacing the batteries into the camera + re-synched. The fault remains and is utterly frustrating. I see that another customer reported the same fault five days ago. Has there been a firmware update that might have failed for the misbehaving camera? How can I force an update to repair the dysfunctional camera? Duff Camera data Firmware 1.3.314; Hardware H7 (the same as my other cameras) Any guidance would be appreciated!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
nigelhs
Tutor
Tutor

Just to wrap up this query, in case it helps anyone else.

Arlo were unable to help identify the issue with this camera - and it was out of warranty so that avenue was not open.

On closer inspection, I found some staining that suggests that the camera was not watertight.

I left the camera by a radiator (not intentionally, it just happened) and the fault appears now to have cleared.

So, I am now of the opinion that the IR detector cell remained in an "open" state because of moisture/contamination in the body of the camera. I hope it is helpful to share.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Reflections from the sun's IR can cause this. Either reposition the camera or create a custom mode with lower sensitivity settings for those times when false triggers are happening. Use the schedule to automate the switching of the modes. Read the FAQs here on changing sensitivity as well as creating custom modes.

nigelhs
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for your suggestions. However, the fault triggers continuously in a loop even when pointed at a wall indoors where sight changes or foliage triggers have been removed from the equation.

The indicators on the PC and the Android dashboards suggest that the IR sensor is triggering continuously.

Very perplexing.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Aha! You didn't say that before (triggering when pointing at a wall). We need all details for useful suggestions. Since that happens, open a case with support:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

nigelhs
Tutor
Tutor

Just for the record my original post reads ....."In recent days, one of my four Arlo cameras has started to trigger even when there is no movement. It triggers every ten seconds! That is, after the recording period I have set for that camera - ten seconds. This happens even when pointed at a plain wall. I have tried "Remove Camera" through the app. I hav.......

But you are right about raising this directly with Arlo, which I have just come off their online chat.

They agree the camera is faulty but out of warranty. Such is life, I guess I use one fewer cameras for now until I decide which model to replace it with - I have a Pro camera in the mix, which is OK.

Thank you for your time.

nigelhs
Tutor
Tutor

Just to wrap up this query, in case it helps anyone else.

Arlo were unable to help identify the issue with this camera - and it was out of warranty so that avenue was not open.

On closer inspection, I found some staining that suggests that the camera was not watertight.

I left the camera by a radiator (not intentionally, it just happened) and the fault appears now to have cleared.

So, I am now of the opinion that the IR detector cell remained in an "open" state because of moisture/contamination in the body of the camera. I hope it is helpful to share.