Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Loyde
Aspirant
Aspirant

Greetings,

Any thoughts as to why my Arlo app on my Samsung S9 won't let me change the "mode?" I've tried rebooting the base station twice. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Arlo app on my phone twice.

THanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TOOMUCHSTUFF
Guide
Guide

If this problem started right after the ARLO APP update the day before Thanksgiving, here is what I did to get mine where I could change modes:

I have an LG G6, so Samsung may be a little different.

1.Go to your phone settings 

2.Go to APPS & notifications

3.Touch APP info

4.Find the ARLO app in the list and touch it

5.Find Permissions and touch that

6.Give the Arlo app Phone permission (mine already had the Microphone permission on)

Hope this fixes your problem.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

What base firmware are you running? Happened to me once when I was accidentally rolled back to very old firmware.

Loyde
Aspirant
Aspirant

2.6.1.21_(followed by a long string of characters and numbers.

Thanks

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

That's the application version. Firmware version is found under settings, my devices, choose the base, device info.

Loyde
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry.

Firmware = 1.12.0.0_27099

Thanks!

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Firmware looks good. Try changing modes on the website instead of in the app, see if it works that way. Also try setting up a custom mode and see if you can change to that.

Loyde
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you pc2k17 Mentor!

I appreciate your suggestions.

Everything works fine on my desktop PC. The "andriod" app apperently has more than one problem (I have an S9). FIrst, it was the push notifications that were sketchy, now it continues to refuse to let me change modes on my phone. I called "tech support" and they basically told me "sorry, but it will just be that way until we release a new andriod update," supposedly in two to three days - we'll see....

For now, my spouse's S6 will still control the mode, and of course the desktop PC. Sooooo... I'll be patient and see how this goes.

I do like what the cameras do, and they seem to be doing their job fine, but this "lack of notification" thing isn't what I paid the big bucks for, lol.

Thanks again!

Loyde

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Ya the new app has some issues for sure. Only suggestion I have is to go back to an older version of the app. That's one nice thing about android, they let you install which version you want. Go to apkmirror, search for arlo, choose an older version, uninstall your version and install old version. I'm running version 2.5.3_22376 and it's working fine.

TOOMUCHSTUFF
Guide
Guide

If this problem started right after the ARLO APP update the day before Thanksgiving, here is what I did to get mine where I could change modes:

I have an LG G6, so Samsung may be a little different.

1.Go to your phone settings 

2.Go to APPS & notifications

3.Touch APP info

4.Find the ARLO app in the list and touch it

5.Find Permissions and touch that

6.Give the Arlo app Phone permission (mine already had the Microphone permission on)

Hope this fixes your problem.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

If allowing the call permission fixes this issue, I'd say that's another bug (or "feature"). In the older arlo app you do not have to allow call permissions, only mic is needed for using the mic. One more reason not to update. I choose what permissions I allow on my phone, not some dev.

Loyde
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you! I'll try an older version and see what happens.

Have a great Holiday Season!

Loyde

Loyde
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you!!!

That taught me how to control app permissions, which is a good thing! The Samsung steps are the same as your phone.

And WOW! Problem solved! (all the Arlo "permissions" were "off.")

(I had to restart my phone tho, after changing the permissions to "on," as it didn't work at first.)

Maybe you should be an Arlo Technician! Their tech support dude simply told me basically "its just too bad its like that, and you'll just have to wait for a new update release..."   sigh.

I appreciate you!

Have a wonderful Holiday Season!

Steerpike58
Guide
Guide

Changing the App permission on my Samsung S7 (Android) to allow 'make and recieve calls' did the trick. There's no way the Arlo App should need that abillity in order to change security modes!  I've allowed it for now but this should surely be considered a bug! 

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

^ +1

I agree, a bug. Call permissions should only be needed if you have smart and use the call a friend or e911 feature. Not needed to switch modes. Either a bug or just sloppy, sloppy coding.

August_go
Aspirant
Aspirant
I Agree with this bug, the app on the android will allow getting into the mode view if you toggle between devices and back to mode it sometimes appears with all of the mode options. I tried this on the Samsung S9 and S6. Neither would work with the current app version. Very frustrating. Also frustrating to have all of the advertising pop up when using the app. It’s not like these things are free, and living with a few adverts is part of the gig.