Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 34 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
castro1688
Star
Star

I use a camera indoors and its always plugged in and charging. The last few days it wont charge and says ""incompatible charger has been detected. Connect a compatible arlo charger."

I've restared the base. I've resynced the camera. I've tried different outlets. I have the originall plug and cable. Its not water. The battery isnt loose. 

Anything else i'm missing? 

21 REPLIES 21
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It could be a bad adapter, cable or camera. Have you tried a different camera as well as a different adapter with the same voltage outputs (5v and 9v) as well as a different cable?

castro1688
Star
Star

I used my cable on another camera and got the same message

Selection_999(001).png

castro1688
Star
Star

I'm seriously done with arlo after this. I'm not buying another plug, camera or adapter.  Time to start blasting reviews of this sub-par product

castro1688
Star
Star

Even the chat doesn't load and is broken. What a joke.

Selection_999(002).png

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

castro1688,

I apologize for the poor experience. I will reach out to you in a private message to gather your information and assist in opening/escalating a support case on the issue you're experiencing.

JamesC

castro1688
Star
Star

Thanks. I'm just staring down the barrel of 3 slowly dying cameras and no way to charge. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While JamesC helps you, be aware that any quality Qualcomm Quick Charge charger will work. Such chargers come with recent Samsung phones as well as many others. They output 5v and 9v.

Scastan13
Initiate
Initiate
So how do you fix the “incompatible charger” error?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Typically, it's a faulty charger or camera or the plug isn't properly inserted. Try a different charger that has both 5v and 9v outputs, try a different cable, try all this on multiple cameras, switching batteries around, too. Ya gotta make up a matrix and start going through the possibilities to find the right answer.

hop425
Guide
Guide

My camera is having the same issue.  Arlo pro, mounted outside and brought it in to charge only to get this error.  I am using the cable and wall adapter that came with the camera.  I have lots of other adapters but none work.  But then none are listed as compatable either.  USB is supposed to be universal.  But obviously Arlo is doing something non standard for it to not be able to charge with any combination of cables and plugs.  All my other devices just charge slower if not using a quick charge or "approved" equipement.  How do I get this fixed?

hop425
Guide
Guide

OK I found the problem, for me at least.  After trying 10-15 different cables I found a combination that worked.  However the design of this camera eliminates the use of most of my cables before even plugging them in because the engineers at Arlo in their infinite wisdom made the plug on the camera recessed so only a usb cable with a very small head will actually reach it.  This is a horrible design and if intentional so you can only use the cable that came with the camera then you should make the cable last longer than a few month and/or not care if it is also used in other devices.  I have drawers full of these usb cables I really shouldn't have to buy one specificaly for arlo.  I sure hope this isn't intentionaly done to get more $$ from us all.  Poor design and poor quality.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Charging through USB isn't universal - there are several methods which can be employed due to the increasing need/desire for fast charging. 5v at .5A ain't gonna charge a big battery anytime soon.

As for the connector, part of it is the need to weatherproof it. It's not just indoor cables but the outdoor ones, too. It's designed as a system, not a one-off thang.

Gluk
Tutor
Tutor

Recently, I am really frustrated about the Arlo charger. I plugged original charger, USB cable in my garage electric source to supply power for Alro Pro outdoors. I could not re-charge the battery and even shut down my camera. I reported the case to Support Centre (by trying many ways to test charger, cable and camera) and both charger and cable were replaced as I just bought for a couple of months. After plugging the replacement (surely original Netgear 5V/9V), it was ok for first day, then Arlo apps prompted me "Incompatible charger has been detected. Connect a compatible Arlo charger.......". I took out the battery, it showed same error ocassionally. Please help, thks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd guess it's the camera that needs to be replaced. Swap cameras around for testing and see what happens.

Gluk
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks jguerdat

I bet so since my camera does not detect any motion even with charger/battery. I have to disconnect the camera from power supply, after 1 min., it works again. I shall need a replacement for my camera.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Open a case with support for replacement.

Oldlag
Guide
Guide

I have just started to have the same problem/error message. My camera is outside and I have been using a Wasserstein Weatherproof Outdoor Quick Charge 3.0 Power Adapter that is supposed to be compatible with Arlo Pro devices. I have been using this continuous charging setup for about 2 months with no problems. The "Incompatible charger has been detected. Connect a compatible arlo charger" mesage has appeared this morning for the first time?

Gluk
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks and replacement is granted.

LLZEL
Guide
Guide

I too have just had it with Arlo. I have over $1500 invested in 6 cameras. I started with the HD and now have some Pro and Pro-2's. I finally got around to wiring them to 120v power. And out of 5 cameras. 2 have been showing charging fine, 2 get charging error but the battery shows 100% so it's not charging but staying on with power. The 5th camera is getting incompatable charger. All are using the Arlo cables and chargers sent with the systems. Chat and telephone service has been horrible, non-responsive and won't do anything. I do have a trouble ticket. I will give Arlo 1 star on Best Buy where I bought them over the last 2 years 

Margo18
Initiate
Initiate

I have been doing troubleshooting on this issue, I have found if you plug in a charger(5v/9v) and charge the camera it will charge. If the power is interrupted and then restored it will give an error, until you remove the power, and battery, resetting the camera, then it works. It will repeat errors every time power goes off/on. Arlo please look into this bug! Arlo Pro cameras,( I tried 2. Different ) Varora chargers (amazon) newest firmware

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
There may be an incompatibilty with Arlo when using a 3rd party charger. Try using only the Arlo-supplied charger and see if the same thing happens.