Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Jdip
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am rather tech savvy, but not a pro.  I have done my research both google wide and arlo support before I have decided to post here.

I switched to Iphone a few months ago to get away from Android.  I purchased the Arlo Pro and 5 cameras and have been having a rather exceptional experience thus far with Arlo, despite some minor glitches.  Looks like I need a camera replaced because its eating batteries within a few days (already have support ticket opened for same), but otherwise I have had minimal problems operationally with the app and the Iphone.  I was getting the intermittent "Geofencing needs internet connection" error on the iphone but that would resolve itself usually with a restart of the app.  

Recently I have been having text message problems with the Iphone, and despite all attempts to resolve it, I had to switch back to android.  I have a Google Pixel (original edition) running latest Android 8.1.  I did all the steps necessary to switch platforms.  And for reference, I only have one person using Geofencing (me), not multiple devices.  

Within the Arlo application I Loggged out of Arlo before I wiped and returned the Iphone.  Set up the new Pixel, logged in.  

I switched the Geofencing Enabled devices, as well as notifications within Arlo (Apprently the Iphone will forever stay as an option for both Iphone and Pixel, but I have selected and deselected several attempts just to be sure).  I also increased my radius (it was on medium and working fine on the iphone), and I have made sure my address is confirmed in the geofencing system.  

On the Android operating system I have taken following steps.

1: Made sure Arlo is not optomized for battery optimization

2: Arlo has full permissions including location, and modify system settings etc (so it has full ability to access GPS wifi etc)

3: Arlo is also excluded from being hindered when "low battery mode" activates under 20%

4: Location is set to High Accuracy.

Since setting up the Google Pixel I have had the geofencing work correctly ONE TIME.  ONCE. 

These are the issues and problems I have noticed and compared to Iphone app.

1: I have noticed when logging into arlo the "mode" tab takes 3-5 seconds to show up on the main screen then an additional 3-5 serconds of "getting status" to show what the base is doing.  THIS DID NOT EXIST ON THE IPHONE AND WAS INSTANTANEOUS.

2: When I log into the app (or when ANY APP including maps, gas buddy, etc that utilizes GPS the icon at the top of my phone that indicates an app is using the GPS would show up.  This is both Iphone and Android) the GPS icon at the top of my phone DOES NOT or intermittently shows up which seems to indicate the app is NOT actively using the GPS like it should be to attempt to locate my position.  When on the Iphone, any time I would touch or use the arlo app the GPS icon would always be active showing me that it is always trying to get my location for a short time during app use.  On the android the GPS icon seems to appear once every few hours or (1 out of every 10 app uses), especially if there is a large gap, or I encounter the "Arlo session has timed out" message....which leads me to the next 

3: Arlo session has timed out message.  According to any resources I have found for both Iphone and Android the application MUST be running in the background in order for geofencing to work appropriately.  Now who was the genius who decided to implement a security measure that COMPLETELY defeats the purpose of geofencing.  I understand an automatic time out or refresh is required for full security of the app, but that is not the best idea for something that needs to be running in the background to work correctly.

4: I have tried a few different methods to see what is causing the issue with my geofencing on the android.  It does seem that when I click the setting for geofencing it sometimes shows my GPS taking a few minues to lock on, but it does correct itself.  Again this is intermittent, and does appear to be correct 95% of the time.  Today I watched my GPS icon on the map in the geofencing settings moving all the way to work and the app never armed the system at all. 

5: I have also uninstalled the app, re installed, cleared cache and data before even setting it up again. After I did that that was when the only time thus far I have had geofencing work correctly.  And the delay between when geofencing notified me it was active compared to the iphone was grossly different, even with the geofencing radius being the medium

I have tried everything I can think of in android setting and app settings to correct these issues.  I am forced to manually arm and disarm the phone to successfully use Arlo since going back to android.  Using the schedule portion is not practical for me as I work a rotating schedule which is opposite every week and would have to set up about 3 different schedules to use on a regular basis for it to be effective (such as Rotation A week and Rotation B week, than any personal routines I have).  I also am a firefighter and respond from my house on a frequent basis, so geofencing is perfect for when I have to randomly leave the house and not have to worry about arming or disarming the system as I have more important things to multi task and focus on when leaving expediously such as talking on the radio, routing myself to calls, and safely driving emergency traffic.

This is very frustrating as it seems the Android application is very poor.  I am reasonable and are aware that on the developer end with many different phone models that run android, development is a little more difficult, but android is nowhere near as restricted and should be easy to fix any errors or glitches.

On the user end I have done all my due diligence to ensure the application functions as is should, have trouble shot every single thing I could think of in the operating system, AND in the application.  and yes I have restarted the base station as well just in case.  

So where do we go from here. 

6 REPLIES 6
Jdip
Aspirant
Aspirant
For now I will also try IFTTT and see how it goes.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Engineering is currently aware of and investigating an issue with Geofencing that is affecting some users. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

Jdip
Aspirant
Aspirant
thank you ! i look forward to it
Jdip
Aspirant
Aspirant
https://developer.android.com/about/versions/oreo/background-location-limits.html

Can you please forward this to your developers? I stumbled upon this article today
Jdip
Aspirant
Aspirant
https://bluedotinnovation.com/android-oreo-affects-location-updates.html

I'm starting to suspect that the problems are a result of Android Oreo. Using IFTTT it appears that is having similar difficulties as well with the geofencing. Though their widget for arming and disarming is working great
enjoychewy
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Jdipwrote:
https://bluedotinnovation.com/android-oreo-affects-location-updates.html

I'm starting to suspect that the problems are a result of Android Oreo. Using IFTTT it appears that is having similar difficulties as well with the geofencing. Though their widget for arming and disarming is working great

It's not limited to Android Oreo - I'm running Android 7 (Nougat) and geofencing has not worked since the latest March 2018 update. Amongst other things like general app unreliability (e.g. notification or automated actions not working unless app is brough into foreground and open). I've posted multiple posts in multiple places and on Facebook on both the international and Australian pages (I live in AU), and no answer from Netgear. Pathetic.