Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Lara12
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm thinking of adding an Arlo Pro with the pro base to my other existing 5 arlo (original model) cameras.
I know the cloud storage is only free for up to 5 cameras, but can I add a sixth one and just use the local storage for that one? Would that work?

Thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
No. Only 5 cameras can be active at one time. The Pro base simply follows the limitation since it uploads to the cloud and any local recording is the same.
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

jguerdat wrote:
No. Only 5 cameras can be active at one time. The Pro base simply follows the limitation since it uploads to the cloud and any local recording is the same.

Jeff:

Hmmmmmm pondering same thing here, would getting a second email address work in setting up a new user? I could always keep a sixth camera as a backup, however it would be waisted without putting it to good use.

Paul

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The second account would be the way to get all cameras in use. Set up the Pro base and camera on the new account and maybe move some of your old cameras to it, too. You won't be able to make modes with cameras from the other base so maybe set it up as one base with front cameras and the other with cameras in the back or whatever makes sense to you.
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

jguerdat wrote:
The second account would be the way to get all cameras in use. Set up the Pro base and camera on the new account and maybe move some of your old cameras to it, too. You won't be able to make modes with cameras from the other base so maybe set it up as one base with front cameras and the other with cameras in the back or whatever makes sense to you.

Would I be able to login both accounts at the same time, would the Arlo app allow that?

Thanks.

Paul

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Yup. The easiest thing to do is to use Settings, Grant Access from one account to the other, selecting all cameras and adding privileges. That will get 90% of the way to being able to use both systems under one login.
ArloProUserHere
Star
Star

I think Arlo really needs to work on their business model when it comes to larger camera arrays.  Not only do they sell the cameras for a high price in single units, they start to charge a monthly fee to have that many cameras.  Unless the higher level of services would allow for true higher funtionality- recording locally for faster starts, text messages with fingernail pics, open the app and start a live view under certian conditions and other goodies, it makes more sense to buy a 3+ new unit than expand a current unit.

Or to put it bluntly to ARLO, it makes as much sense to buy someone else system that would actually allow real-time interaction- something that really isn't possible with the current system.

Lara12
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to give me some feedback.

After reading through this, I have decided to not get a 6th Arlo camera since it's so complicated - I wish they would make it easier.

Instead, since I already have a Ring Doorbell, I'm just going to get a Ring Stick-Up cam, so I can use it on the same Ring account. Two apps to monitor is enough for me, I certainly don't want to add a third account just to monitor one additional camera.

I certainly hope Arlo is listening and will introduce some changes in the future if they want to keep expanding their customer base. 

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

jguerdat wrote:
Yup. The easiest thing to do is to use Settings, Grant Access from one account to the other, selecting all cameras and adding privileges. That will get 90% of the way to being able to use both systems under one login.

Just did that.......works great!

Thanks for help.

Paul